Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Hirini Rawiri Taiwhanga and Others. (Presented in 1876.)]

Report on Petition of Hirini Rawiri Taiwhanga and Others. (Presented in 1876.)

This is a petition presented last session, and referred back in consequence of the Native Affairs Committee of last year not having reported an opinion to the House.

The petitioners complain of the action of the Native Land Court in depriving them of three blocks of land near the Bay of Islands, and pray either that a rehearing of their case should be granted, or that £500 should be paid to them in cash, or that 200 acres should be returned to each of them out of the three blocks.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the grievance which the petitioners really appear to have is against their own relations, who they allege sold the lands as grantees thereof, and did not fairly divide the money with other owners whose names were not in the grants. In the absence of any evidence, the Committee have no specific report to make.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

25th September, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Hirini Rawiri Taiwhanga ma. (No te tau 1876 i tukua mai ai.)

No tera tau i tukua mai ai tenei pukapuka-inoi, i whakahokia mai notemea kihai te Komiti o tera tau i whai kupu tuturu ki te Whare.

E pouri ana nga kai-inoi mo te mahi a te Kooti Whakawa Whenua Maori i riro ai etahi whenua etoru e tata ana ki Tokerau, e a inoi ana ratou kia whakawakia tuaruatia ranei aua whenua, kia utua ranei ratou ki te £500 moni kia whakahokia ranei ki ia tangata o ratou e 200 eka o roto o nga piihi etoru.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Ko te mate a nga kai-inoi ma o ratou whanaunga ano e titiro na ratou hoki i hoko nga whenua i te mea ko ratou nga tangata i roto i nga karaati, a kahore i tika ta ratou wehewehenga i te moni ki era atu tangata kahore nei o ratou ingoa i roto i nga karaati. Kahore he kupu tuturu i whakapuakina ki te aroaro o te Komiti koia i kore ai he kupu pehea ranei mo tenei mea.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Hepetema 25, 1877.