Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Paora Tuhaere and Others]

Report on Petition of Paora Tuhaere and Others.

Petitioners state that they gave the land for the railway between Helensville and Riverhead without compensation, on the understanding that the Maori people should be allowed to travel by rail without payment, and that a house for their accommodation should be erected, but that on both these particulars they have been disappointed, and pray for relief.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That there is no foundation whatever for the assertion that the Natives were promised free passes for three years in consideration of their conceding lands required for the Kaipara Railway line without payment. That it does appear that Mr. Sheehan promised the Natives at the time whea the concession was made that landing sites would be reserved for them at the Helensville and Waitemata Stations, and that buildings would be erected on the landing sites for the accommodation of Maoris travelling by the railway. The Committee would strongly recommend that those promises should be fulfilled without unnecessary delay.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

25th September, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Paora Tuhaere ma.

E ki ana nga kai-inoi he mea hoatu noa e ratou te whenua mo te Rerewe i waenganui o Te Awaroa o Pitoitoi kahore he utu, i runga i te whakariteritenga kia haere utu kore nga Maori i runga i te rerewe, kia whakaturia hoki he whare mo ratou a e ki ana ratou kua hapa ratou i enei mea e rua koia ratou i tono ai kia whakaputaina he ora ki a ratou.

page 24

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ahau ki te Whare:—

Kahore rawa he take mo te kupu e ki nei i whakaaetia kia haere utu kore nga Maori i runga i te rerewe mo nga tau e toru i runga i ta ratou hoatu noa i nga whenua mo te huarahi o te Rerewe ki Kaipara. Engari kua kitea e tika ana i whakaae ano a Mr. Sheehan i te wa i homai ai te whenua kia whakatapua he wahi unga ki uta mo nga Maori i te teihana i Te Awaroa i te teihana i Waitemata a kia whakaturia hoki he whare hei nohoanga mo nga Maori e haere ana i runga i te Rerewe. E ki kaha atu ana te Komiti kia tere tonu te whakaea i aua kupu whakaaetanga ra.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Hepetema 25, 1877.