Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Meiha Keepa Rangihiwinui. (Presented in 1876.)]

Report on Petition of Meiha Keepa Rangihiwinui. (Presented in 1876.)

This is a petition presented last session, and referred back in consequence of the Native Affairs Committee of last year not having reported an opinion to the House.

The petitioner states that the Ngarauru tribe, having been in rebellion, was punished by the confiscation of their lands, but that the petitioner and his tribe, who have always been loyal, have claims upon the lands so confiscated. The petitioner further alleges that an award of 400 acres of land in the Waitotara District was made to him in satisfaction of such claims, but that it was afterwards discovered that the land had been leased to a Mr. Vincent, and that complications recited in the petition arose therefrom.

The petitioner states that he agreed to an arrangement whereby Vincent was to be regarded as his tenant, and that he has been called on by the executors of the late Mr. Vincent to execute a lease, but, while willing to carry out the arrangement made, thinks that a Crown grant should first be issued to him.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee understand that the matters referred to in the petition have been arranged to the satisfaction of the petitioner, and therefore do not think it necessary to express, an opinion on the merits of the case.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

19th September, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Meiha Keepa Rangihiwinui. (No te tau 1876 i tukua mai ai.)

No tera tau i tukua mai ai tenei pukapuka-inoi i whakahokia mai notemea kahore te Komiti tera tau i whai kupu tuturu ki te Whare.

E ki ana te kai-inoi no runga i te mau patu a Ngarauru i tangohia ai o ratou whenua mo to ratou hara, engari ko te kai-inoi ratou ko tona hapu i piri pono tonu ki a te Kuini i whai take ano ki roto ki aua whenua i tangohia ra, e ki ana hoki te kai-inoi i hoatu ki a ia tetahi whenua e 400 eka te nui i te takiwa o Waitotara hei whakaea i aua take otira no muri iho ka kitea kua riihitia taua whenua ki tetahi pakeha, ko Vincent te ingoa, no reira i tupu ai nga raruraru e whakahuatia ana i roto i te pukapuka-inoi.

E ki ana te kai-inoi i whakaae ia ki tetahi whakariteritenga i kiia ai ko Vincent e riihi ana i taua whenua i a ia a kua tono nga kai-whakahaere o nga mea o Vincent, kua mate hoki ia a Vincent, kia tuhituhia e ia e Meiha Keepa tetahi riihi, engari ahakoa e pai ana ano ia ki te whakamana i taua whakariteritenga, e whakaaro ana ia me matua puta te Karauna karaati ki a ia.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

E whakaaro ana te Komiti i nga mea i rongo ai ratou kua whakariteritea maramatia ki te kai-inoi nga mea e whakahuatia ana i roto i te pukapuka-inoi koia i kore ai ratou i mahara kia whai kupu ratou mo runga i nga tikanga o tenei mea.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Hepetema 19, 1877.