Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Arihi te Nahu. (Presented in 1876.)]

Report on Petition of Arihi te Nahu. (Presented in 1876.)

This is a petition presented last session, and referred back in consequence of the Native Affairs Committee of last year not having reported an opinion to the House.

The petitioner states that Mr. Henry Robert Russell is endeavouring to get possession of her land at Te Aute, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, alleging that he had purchased it from petitioner. The petitioner, however, alleges that she sold some land properly to Mr. Kinross, and that £1,700 which Mr. Russell gave her—or, rather, expended on costs of legal proceedings in Wellington—was not in payment for land, but to induce petitioner to stay with Mr. Russell, and not go to other Europeans.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That, in absence of evidence, and in view of recent investigations by the Supreme Court into the allegations of the petitioner, the Committee do not deem it desirable to report an opinion on the subject-matter of the petition.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

18th September, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Arihi te Nahu. (No te tau 1876 i tukua mai ai.)

No tera tau i tukua mai ai tenei pukapuka-inoi, i whakahokia mai notemea kihai te Komiti o tera tau i whai kupu tuturu ki te Whare.

E ki ana te kai-inoi e hiahia ana a Henare Rata kia riro i a ia tona whenua i Te Aute i te Porowini o Hawke's Bay, i runga i te kupu a Henare Rata kua hokona e te kai-inoi ki a ia. E ki ana te kai-inoi hokona tikatia e ia tetahi whenua ki a Keneroihi, a ko te moni £1,700 i hoatu e Henare Rata ki a page 21ia otiia i whakapaua e Henare Rata hei utu i te roia i Poneke, ehara i te utu mo te whenua engari he pupuri i te kai-inoi kia noho tonu i a Henare Rata kia kaua e haere atu ki etahi pakeha atu.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Notemea kahore he korero whakamarama i whakapuakina ki te aroaro o te Komiti, notemea hoki kua kimihia e te Hupirimi Kooti i mua tata atu nei te tikanga o nga kupu a te kai-inoi, kahore te Komiti e mahara he mea marama ma ratou kia whakapuaki whakaaro ratou ki te Whare mo tenei pukapuka-inoi.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Hepetema 18, 1877.