Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Interim Report]

Interim Report.

I have the honor to report that the following resolution was passed by the Native Affairs Committee on the 7th August, 1877:—

That the Government be requested to direct that there be furnished, for the use of this Committee, without unnecessary delay, a map of the North Island, upon as large a scale as conveniently may be, setting forth in different colours—

1. The lands owned by Europeans, distinguishing, as far as possible, between lands purchased by private individuals from the Natives, and land purchased by the Crown.
2. The confiscated lands unsold.
3. Lands reserved for Maori purposes.
4. Lands held by Natives under certificates of title, memorial of ownership, and Crown grant.
5. Lands in the hands of the Maoris, or over which the Native title has not been extinguished.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

8th August, 1877.

[Translation.]
He Kupu na te Komiti ake.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia whakaatu ahau ki te Whare i whakaaetia te Kupu i raro iho nei e te Komiti mo nga mea Maori i te 7 o Akuhata, 1877.

Me tono ki te Kawanatanga kia whakahaua kia homai ki tenei Komiti tetahi mapi o te Ika-a-Maui hei te mapi nui, me mau enei whakaaturanga ki runga, he kara ke mo ia mea, ara:—

1. Nga whenua a te Pakeha, me wehe nga whenua i hokona e nga Pakeha noa iho i nga Maori, me nga whenua i hokona e te Kawanatanga.
2. Nga whenua i tangohia mo te hara o te iwi, kahore ano kia hokona.
3. Nga whenua e whakatoea ana mo nga Maori.
4. Nga whenua e mau ana ki nga Maori, i runga i te mana tiwhikete, pukapuka whakamaharatanga take Karauna karaati hoki.
5. Nga whenua kei nga Maori e takoto papatupu ana.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Akuhata 8, 1877.