Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Hirini Taiwhanga and Others. (Presented in 1876.)]

Report on Petition of Hirini Taiwhanga and Others. (Presented in 1876.)

This is a petition presented last session, and referred back in consequence of the Native Affairs Committee of last year not having, reported an opinion to the House.

The petitioners complain that due attention was not given to a petition of the Ngapuhi tribe, sent to Parliament in 1874, against the repeal of "The Native Lands Act, 1865," against which they allege no fault was found during the eight years of its existence, except in the case of the foolish Maoris of Napier.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That there is no evidence before the Committee to enable them to judge of the correctness of the Statements made in the petition. They recommend the petition to the consideration of the Government, in view of the proposed legislation next year in reference to Native lands.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

18th September, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Hirini Taiwhanga ma. (No te tau 1876 i tukua mai ai.)

No tera tau i tukua mai ai tenei pukapuka-inoi i whakahokia mai notemea kihai te Komiti o tera tau i whai kupu tuturu ki te Whare.

E pouri ana nga kai-inoi notemea kahore i ata whakaarohia tetahi pukapuka-inoi a Ngapuhi i tuka mai ki te Paremete i te tau 1874 he whakahe ki te whakakorenga o "Te Ture mo nga Whenua Maori, 1865," e ki ana hoki ratou kahore i kitea he he i roto i nga tau e waru i tu ai taua Ture haunga ia i nga Maori kuare o Nepia.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Kahore he korero i whakapuakina i te aroaro o te Komiti i ahei ai ratou ki te ki e tika ana nga kupu i roto i te pukapuka-inoi. E mea ana te Komiti ma te Kawanatanga e titiro te pukapuka-inoi i te mea e kiia ana kia homai he Ture hou mo nga Whenua Maori a te tau e haere ake nei.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Hepetema 18th, 1877.