Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Maihi P. Kawiti and 269 Others. (Presented in 1876.)]

Report on Petition of Maihi P. Kawiti and 269 Others. (Presented in 1876.)

This is a petition presented last session. Petitioners urge several objections to the Native Lands Bill introduced during the last session, but afterwards withdrawn.

They assert that it is even worse than the Native Lands Acts of 1873 and 1874, and that death would be better than life if such torture is to continue. That, while objecting to the proposed new law, they also earnestly pray for the repeal of the laws of 1873 and 1874.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That, inasmuch as the circumstances which produced the complaints of the petition have considerably altered, the Committee do not deem it necessary to report a specific opinion thereon.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

4th September, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Maihi P. Kawiti me ona hoa e 269. (No te tau 1876 i tukua mai ai.)

Ko tenei Pukapuka-inoi no tera tau i tukua mai ai. Ko nga kupu o roto he whakahe ki te Pire Whenua Maori i whakatakotoria ki roto ki te Whare i tera nohoanga o te Runanga, engari i unuhia ki waho i muri iho.

E mea ana ratou he kino atu i nga Ture Whenua Maori o te 1873-1874 hoki a pai atu te mate i te ora mehemea ka waiho tonu tenei mamae nui ki runga i a ratou. A ahakoa tono ratou kia whakakorea te ture hou e tino inoi ana ratou kia whakakorea nga Ture o te 1873 o te 1874 hoki.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Notemea kua rere ke nga tikanga o naianei i nga tikanga i puta ai nga kupu whakahe i roto i te pukapuka-inoi kahore i whakaaro te Komiti he mea whai tikanga kia whai kupu mo taua mea.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Hepetema 4, 1877.