Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of W. H. Taipari]

Report on Petition of W. H. Taipari.

The petitioner quotes a Proclamation by the Superintendent of Auckland offering a reward for the discovery of a payable gold field. He alleges that the Thames Gold Field was discovered by him, and thrown open by his influence. He therefore prays that the reward of £5,000 be paid him.

I am directed to report as follows:—

It appears that in 1867 the Superintendent of Auckland offered a reward of £5,000 for the discovery of a payable gold field in the Province of Auckland. After the development of the Thames Gold Fields a number of claims were made by persons alleging themselves to be the first discoverers. A Commission was appointed by the Superintendent in 1870 to investigate those claims, and it was reported by the Commission that none of the parties (including the petitioner) had any absolute claim on the ground of first discovery; but the services rendered, and the exertions made by the petitioner, were specially recognized by the Commission, and a recommendation was made that he should receive the sum of £300.

The Committee are of opinion that the important services rendered by the petitioner in causing (in the face of strong opposition) the opening of the Thames lands for gold mining cannot be considered to have been sufficiently recognized; and they would therefore recommend the prayer of the petitioner to the favourable consideration of the House and of the Government. They would further point out that the claim of the petitioner has now been in existence for nearly ten years, and they recommend that the Government should, if possible, deal with the petitioner's case now, while he is in Wellington.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

22nd August, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a W. H. Taipari.

E whakahuatia ana e te kai-inoi tetahi Panuitanga a te Huparitenete o te Porowini o Akarana he whakaatu i te utu ki te tangata mana e whakakite mai he whenua e nui ai te koura. E ki ana ia nana i kite te whenua koura i Hauraki, na tana whakahaere i whakatuwheratia ai. Koia i tono ai ia kia utua ki a ia te moni e £5,000.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

E tika ana i whakaaria ano e te Huparitenete o Akarana te utu e £5,000 mo te whakakitenga i tetahi whenua e nui ai te koura i roto i te Porowini o Akaraua. Na, i muri iho o te whakatuwheratanga o te Whenua Koura i Hauraki he maha nga tono a nga tangata i ki na ratou te koura tuatahi i kite. I whakaturia tetahi Runanga Komihana e te Huparitenete i te tau 1870 ki te whiriwhiri i aua tono, a kiia ana e nga Komihana kahore tetahi o aua kai-tono (tae atu ki a W. H. Taipari te kai-inoi nei) i tika i runga i te tikanga o te kitenga tuatahi o te koura; engari i tino whai kupu nga komihana mo nga mahi a te kai-inoi me tana uaua hoki, a i tono ano ratou kia utua ki a ia nga moni e £300.

E whakaaro ana te Komiti e kore e taea te whakaaro kua tino ea nga mahi a te kai-inoi i runga i te whakatuwheratanga, i runga i tana whakahaere, o nga whenua o Hauraki kia mahia mo te koura i te mea hoki ka nui te uaua o etahi ki te pupuri, koia i mea ai te Komiti ma te Whare ma te Kawanatanga hoki e ata whiriwhiri pai te tono a te kai-inoi. Tenei ano tetahi kupu a te Komiti, kua tata tenei ki te kotahi tekau nga tau e takoto ana te tono a te kai-inoi, koia i whakaarohia ai kia tere tonu te whaitikanga a te Kawanatanga mo tenei mea i te wa kei konei, kei Poneke nei, te kai-inoi.

John Bryce.
Tumuaki.

Akuhata 22, 1877.
page 9