Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Wiremu Hunia Waikeri]

Report on Petition of Wiremu Hunia Waikeri.

Petitioner prays for the restoration to him of 3,000 acres of land at Manukau and Waiuku, alleging that he is the real owner, that he never received payment for it, never was in arms against the Queen, and was absent from the colony at the time Ms claim might have been made.

page 8

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee, Laving communicated with Mr. Civil Commissioner Kemp, of Auckland, and taken the evidence of Major Heaphy on the ease, are of opinion that the petitioner has a claim to some consideration in respect of lands taken by the Government at Waiuku. The Committee are not prepared to say that the claim exists against the colony, but they believe that a sufficient case has been established to justify an inquiry into the matter by the Government, with a view to redress being afforded, and they recommend accordingly.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

21st August, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukaphka-inoi a Wiremu Hunia Waikeri.

E tono ana te kai-inoi Ida whakahokia ki a ia nga eka whenua e 3,000 i Manukau i Waiuku notemea ko ia te tangata nona ake aua whenua, notemea hoki kahore ia i utua mo aua whenua, kahore ia i mau patu ki a te Kuini a kahore ia i Niu Tireni nei i te wa tika hei whakaatunga mana i tana tono.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Kua whai kupu atu te Komiti ki a Te Keepa, Komihana, o Akarana, kua whakarangona hoki nga korero a Meiha Whiwhi mo tenei mea; na, e whakaaro ana te Komiti he take ano e whakaarohia ai te kaiinoi mo nga whenua i tangohia e te Kawanatanga i Waiuku. Ekore te Komiti e marama ki te ki ma te Koroni e whakarite, engari kua kite ai e ratou e tika ana kia kimikimihia e Te Kawanatanga nga tikanga o te tono kia a ahei te whakaea.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Akuhata 21, 1877.