Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Reweti te Hiakai and Others]

Report on Petition of Reweti te Hiakai and Others.

This is a petition from certain Native residents of Kaikoura. The petitioners allege that it is the intention of the Government to take a railway over their land without giving them any compensation; and they pray that a sum of £10,000 be granted them in payment for the injuries likely to be inflicted.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That it is evident to the Committee that this petition has been sent to the House under a misconception on the part of the petitioners. If the railway referred to is constructed, there is no doubt that compensation will be given in the usual way for any damage done to private property. The Committee cannot, therefore, recommend the payment of £10,000 to the petitioners.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

29th November, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Reweti te Hiakai me etahi atu.

He pukapuka-inoi tenei na etahi Maori e noho ana i Kaikoura. E ki ana nga kai-inoi ka kawea e te Kawanatanga te rerewe ma runga i to ratou whenua, a kahore e hoatu he utu kia ratou, e inoi ana ratou kia hoatu kia £10,000 hei utu mo te whakakinonga o to ratou whenua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Ko te whakaaro a te Komiti ko tenei pitihana i tukua pohehetia e nga kai-inoi. Notemea ki te hanga te rerewe e kiia nei tena ano e whai-ritengatia i runga i nga tikanga mo nga whenua o te tangata e kino ana. Na reira e kore te Komiti e mea me utu he £10,000 ki nga kai-inoi.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Nowema 29, 1877.