Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Ihaia Tainui]

Report on Petition of Ihaia Tainui.

Petitioner prays that the titles of himself and hapu to reserves in the South Island may be individualized. He alleges that under existing circumstances individual owners cannot devise their share by will on account of their inability to set forth in legal terms the piece of land to which they are entitled. The petitioner also objects to the Governor assuming the management of the reserves and the rents accruing from them, alleging that the Natives understood that the arrangement was only to last for a term of twenty-one years. And he further asserts that the administration of the rents is objectionable. Petitioner urges various objections to the Native Reserves Act of 1876, and particularly that it was drawn by Mr. Alexander Mackay. He concludes by praying that his people may be compensated for land taken for railway purposes.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Native Affairs Committee of last session inquired very fully into the merits of this case, and reported thereon as follows:—

"That in the opinion of the Committee the petitioners in this case do not appear to have any good ground for complaint, and that the reserve in question seems to be fairly and judiciously administered on behalf of the Natives concerned.

"The Committee is further of opinion that the law which enables the Governor to sell such reserves should be amended, so as to provide that no such sale should be effected without a special Act of the Legislature in such cases."

No additional evidence having been submitted, the Committee have nothing to add to the report above quoted, except to recommend that the petition be referred to the Government for consideration.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

November 19, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Ihaia Tainui.

Ko te kai-inoi e tono ana kia wehewehea nga paanga o ratou ko tona hapu ki nga whenua rahui i Poutini. E mea ana ia i runga o te ahua o naianei ko nga tangata no ratou kahore i te kaha ki te whakaatu i o ratou wahi ana tukua i runga i te pukapuka oha-aki i te mea kahore ratou e ahei ki te whakaatu i a nga wahi mo ratou. E whakahe ana hoki te kai-inoi ki te rironga ma te Kawana e whakahaere nga whenua rahui, me nga moni o nga reti e puta mai ana i aua whenua, e mea ana ano hoki ia i mahara nga Maori ko taua tikauga i whakaritea mo nga tau e 21 anake, a e ki ana ano i a i tua atu ko te whakahaere i nga reti kahore i te pai. He maha nga whakahe a te kai-inoi ki te Ture mo nga Whenua Rahui Maori, 1876, ko tona tino whakahe ko te rironga ma Ariki Make e hanga taua ture.

page 48

Ko nga kupu whakamutunga o taua pukapuka-inoi e inoi ana kia utua tona iwi mo nga wahi o to ratou whenua i riro mo nga rerewe.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Ko te Komiti mo nga mea Maori o te Paremete i te tau kua pahemo nei i kimi nui i nga take o tenei mea a koia tenei ta ratou whakataunga:—

"Ki te whakaaro o te Komiti kahore he take tika a nga kai-inoi mo to ratou pouritanga a e maharatia ana e whakahaeretia tikatia paitia ana hoki taua whenua porowhita mo nga Maori e whai tikanga ana ki reira.

"E whakaaro ana hoki te Komiti ko te Ture e whakamana nei i te Kawana ki te hoko i aua tu porowhita, me whakatikatika kia whakaritea ai kia kaua e taea he hoko pera engari me matua hanga e te Paremete tetahi Ture mo aua hoko."

Notemea kahore kau he kupu hou i whakapuakina i te aroaro o te Komiti kahore he kupu ke ma ratou i tera kua whakaaturia i runga ake nei; heoti ano ia me tuku atu te pukapuka-inoi ki te Kawanatanga.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Nowema 19, 1877.