Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Members of the Muaupoko Tribe]

Report on Petition of Members of the Muaupoko Tribe.

Petitioners pray that Road Board and County laws should have no effect over land the Native title to which has not been extinguished, and object generally to laws affecting Native lands.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee do not think it necessary or desirable to recommend any alteration in the law in the direction of exempting Native lands from local rates, and do not think it necessary to offer any opinion upon the more general objection of the petitioners to all laws affecting Native lands.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

16th November, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te kupu a te Komiti ko runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a nga tangata o te iwi o Muaupoko.

Ko nga kai-inoi e inoi ana ko nga turn mo nga Rori Pooti me nga Kaute, me kaua e eke ki nga whenua kahore ano i kore te mana Maori, a e whakahe ana ano hoki ki nga ture mo nga whenua Maori.

page 47

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

E mahara ana te Komiti kahore he tikanga kahore he pai kia mea ratou kia whakarereaketia te ture kia kore ai nga whenua Maori e utu takowha i roto o nga takiwa. A e mahara ana ano hoki kahore he tika nga kia whakapuaki maharatanga ratou mo etahi atu o nga whakahe a nga kai-inoi mo nga tare katoa mo nga whenua Maori.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Nowema 16, 1877.