Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Wiremu Potiki and Another]

Report on Petition of Wiremu Potiki and Another.

Petitioners express wonder and disapproval that the Government should have reserved a piece of land near kaiapoi for Matiaha and his people, because they had no right to it, the petitioners being the real owners. They allege that Matiaha and his people, although living at Moeraki, belong really to Kaiapoi, where their mana does exist. The petitioners pray that Moeraki may be restored to them.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the claims set forth in this petition involve questions of Native title to land which have already been investigated by a competent tribunal. The Committee cannot recommend a reopening of the case.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

16th November, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te kupu a te Komiti mo Runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Wiremu Potiki me tetahi atu.

Ko nga kai-inoi e whakahe rawa ana ki te Kawanatanga mo te rahuitanga i tetahi wahi whenua e tata ana ki Kaiapoi mo Matiaha me tona iwi, notemea kahore o ratou panga ki taua whenua, ko nga kaiinoi ke nga tangata no ratou tana whenua. A e mea ana ano raua ahakoa e noho ana a Matiaha me tona iwi i Moeraki, no Kaiapoi ke ratou, kei reira ka whai mana ratou. E inoi ana nga kai-inoi me whakahoki a atu a Moeraki ki a raua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Ko te tono e whakaaturia ana i roto o tenei pukapuka-inoi e eke ana ki te take Maori ki te whenua, a kua oti tera te mahi e tetahi tikanga whakawa whai mana. A e kore e taea e to Komiti te whakapuare ano i taua mea.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Nowema 16, 1877.