Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on the Petition of Te Moananui and 60 Others]

Report on the Petition of Te Moananui and 60 Others.

Petitioners complain that miners' rights fees due to them are not regularly paid, and that they are not allowed to obtain certain moneys belonging to them.

I am directed to report as follows:—

The Committee find that, from the evidence taken by them, it would appear that the Natives have been misinformed as to the amounts coming to them under the agreement authorizing mining on the Thames Gold Fields.

The accounts appear to have been regularly kept, and no unreasonable delay appears to have taken place in the payment of moneys due.

The Committee would, however, recommend that Government should give full facilities for the inspection of the accounts by some competent person to be appointed or approved of by the Maoris.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

1st August, 1876.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo Runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Te Moananui me ona hoa e 60

E ki ana nga Kai-inoi ko a ratou moni maina-raiti kahore e utua tikatia ana ki a ratou i nga ra i whakaritea ai a kahore e puta ana ki a ratou etahi moni a ratou.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

I runga i nga kupu i whakina i te aroaro o te Komiti e mahara ana ratou kua korerotia hetia nga tikanga ki aua maori mo nga moni e puta ki a ratou i runga i te mana o te pukapuka whakaaetanga mo te keri koura ki Hauraki.

Ko nga pukapuka' moni e ahua tika ana te whakahaere a kahore i kitea tetahi whakaroanga take kore i te utunga o nga moni.

Engari e mahara ana te Komiti me whakatuwhera e te Kawanatanga tetahi tikanga kia ahei ai te tirotiro nga pukapuka moni e tetahi tangata tika e whakaturia ana e whakamana ana ranei e nga Maori.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Akuhata 1, 1876.