Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on Petition of Wiremu Puataata and 5 Others]

Report on Petition of Wiremu Puataata and 5 Others.

This petition is from certain Natives of the Bay of Islands, who state that they have been "done out of their land" through the action of the Native Lands Court, and pray either that £50 should be paid to them in cash, or that 1,000 acres should be restored to them.

I am directed to report as follows:—The Committee regret that the time at their disposal has not been sufficient to enable them to make such inquiries as would justify them in reporting an opinion on the subject-matter of this petition.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

25th October, 1876.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Wiremu Puataata me ona hoa e 5.

Ko tenei pukapuka-inoi na etahi tangata maori o Tokerau e ki ana ratou kua tinihangatia ratou i o ratou whenua e te Kooti whakawa Whenua Maori a e tono ana ratou kia utua ranei ratou ki te £50 moni kia whakahokia ranei ki a ratou 1,000 eka whenua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—E pouri ana te Komiti notemea kahore ratou i whai taima ki te uiui i nga tikanga e taea ai e ratou te whakaputa i tetahi whakaaro ma ratou mo runga i nga kupu o tenei pukapuka-inoi.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Oketopa 25, 1876.