Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on Petition of Natives of Ohinemuri.]

Report on Petition of Natives of Ohinemuri.

The petitioners allege that they have been deprived of the lands of their ancestors between Tauranga and the Thames.

page 28

They give a long list of the names of blocks of land, and state that, although they (the petitioners) have committed no crime, these lands have either been confiscated or sold without participation in the proceeds by the petitioners.

I am directed to report as follows:—The Committee regret that the time at their disposal has not been sufficient to enable them to make such inquiries as would justify them in reporting an opinion on the subject-matter of this petition.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

25th October, 1876.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a nga Maori o Ohinemuri.

E ki ana nga kai-inoi kua tangohia nga whenua o o ratou tupuna o waenganui o Tauranga o Hauraki.

E whakaatu ana ratou i tetahi rarangi roa o nga ingoa whenua a e ki ana ratou ahakoa kua kore a ratou (a nga kai-inoi) hara kua tangohia ranei enei whenua mo te hara o te iwi kua hokona ranei i te mea kahore ratou i uru ki te kai i nga moni.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—E pouri ana te Komiti notemea kahore ratou i whai taima ki te uiui i nga tikanga e taea ai e ratou te whakaputa i tetahi whakaaro ma ratou mo runga i nga kupu o tenei pukapuka-inoi.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Oketopa 25, 1876.