Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on Petition of Henare Tomoana and 33 Others]

Report on Petition of Henare Tomoana and 33 Others.

Petitioners state that a short time ago they and other Natives went to Hastings, near Napier, to sign certain deeds, and that the reason they did not go to Napier was that they were afraid they would be led astray by drink.

They complain that, although their lawyer, Mr. Sheehan, made many efforts to get a magistrate to come out to witness their signatures, those efforts failed, and that great inconvenience and loss resulted therefrom to the petitioners and others.

The petitioners express an opinion that the officers did not attend at Hastings because they desired to prevent them (the petitioners) from becoming possessed of money wherewith to try certain cases before the Supreme Court, and they urge that those officers should be reprimanded for behaving in such a maddening way.

I am directed to report as follows:— "The Native Lands Frauds Prevention Act, 1870," provides that the Governor in Council may from time to time make regulations for the guidance of Trust Commissioners in the performance of their duties. The Committee is of opinion such regulations should be at once issued and gazetted.

That, in respect to the witnessing of deeds by Resident Magistrates, as required by "The Native Lands Act, 1873," the Committee is of opinion that general instructions should be given to Resident Magistrates to witness such deeds at fixed times and places, of which public notice should be given. The Committee is further of opinion that, in the case referred to by the petitioners, the officers concerned acted in accordance with their instructions.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

25th October, 1876.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Henare Tomoana me ona hoa e 33.

E ki ana nga kai-inoi i haere atu ratou ko, etahi tangata Maori i mua tata atu nei ki Heretaunga (Hastings) e tata ana ki Nepia ki te tuhituhi i o ratou ingoa ki etahi pukapuka a ko te take i kore ai ratou e haere ki Nepia he wehi kei whakawaia ratou e te waipiro.

E ki ana ratou ahakoa i maha nga tono a to ratou roia a Te Hiana (Mr. Sheehan) kia haere atu he Kai-whakawa ki te titiro i te tuhituhinga o o ratou ingoa, kihai i taea a no reira ka nui te raruraru me te mate i pa ki nga kai-inoi me etahi atu.

E whakaatu ana nga kai-inoi i ta ratou whakaaro ko te take i kore ai nga apiha i tae ki Heretaunga he mea kia kore ai ratou (nga kai-inoi) e whiwhi ki te moni hei whakahaere i etahi whakawa i roto i te Hupirimi Kooti a e tono ana ratou kia riria aua apiha mo taua mahi whakaporangi a ratou.

page 26

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki to Whare:—E mea ana "Te Ture Arai i nga tuku hei nga Whenua Maori, 1870," e pai ana ma te Kawana i roto i tona Runanga Whakahaere e whakatakoto etahi tikanga hei tohutohu ki nga Komihana Tiaki i runga i te ritenga o ta ratou mahi. E whakaaro ana te Komiti me whakaputa inaianei tonu he tikanga pera me panui ki te Kahiti.

Mo runga i te mahi a nga Kai-whakawa Tuturu e titiro nei i nga tuhinga ingoa ki nga pukapuka i runga i nga tikanga o "Te Ture Whenua Maori, 1873," e whakaaro ana te Komiti me whakaputa he kupu tohutohu ki nga Kai-whakawa Tuturu kia titiro ratou i nga tuhituhinga ingoa ki nga pukapuka i nga wa, i nga kainga e panuatia ai kia kite ai te katoa.

E whakaaro ana hoki te Komiti mo runga i tenei mea i whakahuatia nei e nga kai-inoi i mahi nga Apiha i runga i nga kupu tohutohu i whakaputaina ki a ratou.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Oketopa 25, 1876.