Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on Petition of Native Owners of Land at Thames.]

Report on Petition of Native Owners of Land at Thames.

The petitioners state that at the opening of the Thames Gold Field, reserves were set apart for their cultivation, but that since then they have leased or otherwise parted with them, under the impression that they would obtain all moneys derived from miners' rights in respect thereof, but they allege that page 24they have received no such moneys. They pray the House to cause all money received from such sources, on their behalf, to be paid to them, otherwise they express a fear that they will be compelled to close their land from further operations.

I am directed to report as follows:—The Committee recommend that the Government should consider the matter, with a view to giving some facilities to Mr. Graham to have any points in dispute settled by reference to some competent tribunal.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

24th October, 1876.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a etahi Maori whai Whenua i Hauraki.

E ki ana nga Kai-inoi i whakatapua he wahi mahinga kai mo ratou i te whakatuwheratanga o te whenua koura i Hauraki otira kua riihitia kua tukua atu aua wahi e ratou i runga i to ratou whakakaaro ka whiwhi ratou ki nga maina-raiti katoa e puta mo reira, otira e ki ana ratou kahore ano he moni pera i puta ki a ratou. E inoi ana ratou ki te Whare kia kiia kia utua ki a ratou nga moni katoa e puta ana i aua mea, ki te kore, e whakaputa ana i ta ratou kupu pouri kei tutakina e ratou to ratou whenua kei mahia a mua ake nei.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—E mea ana te Komiti ma te Kawanatanga tenei mea e whiriwhiri kia whai huarahi at a Te Kereama ki te tuku atu i nga take e tautohetia ana ma tetahi runanga whakawa whai mana e whakaoti.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Oketopa 24, 1876.