Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on Petition of Matiu Poono and 61 Others.]

Report on Petition of Matiu Poono and 61 Others.

This is a petition from Natives of Shortland, Thames, in which it is alleged that Mr. Mackay is surveying certain lands of theirs situated at Hauraki and Piako. They pray that such survey be put a stop to, it being unauthorized by them.

I am directed to report as follows:—The Committee find, on inquiry, that as it appears by statements made by Mr. Mackay, in the following telegram to the Under Secretary, Native Department, dated 10th October, 1876, that no such unauthorized survey as that complained of in the petition appears to be going on, the Committee have no recommendation to make.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

24th October, 1876.

To the Under Secretary, Native Department, Wellington.

(Telegram.) Grahamstown, 10.45 a.m., 11th October, 1876.

I assume that Matiu Poono and his fellow petitioners belong to the Ngatimaru tribe. If so, I may say, in the survey of lands at Piako last year, the portion they claimed was carefully excluded. I only dealt with those lands belonging to and sold by the Ngatipaoa tribe, at Hauraki. All surveys have been long since completed. I have only one survey in progress now, and that is on the Waitoa Block, near Ohinemuri, ceded by Ngatitamatera, and where Matiu Poono and Ngatimaru cannot possibly pretend to have the slightest claim. As soon as the weather permits surveys of the swamp country, I intend to complete that of the Piako Block, and if any portion of it abuts on or approaches any claims of Ngatimaru or Matiu Poono, I shall send them due notice to attend and point out their boundaries. Factious opposition with a view to delay cannot be too strongly deprecated, and as long as care is taken that only the claims of Ngatipaoa and Ngatitamatera are surveyed, and those to which Ngatimaru have the slightest shadow of right are excluded from such survey, I cannot admit any cause of complaint. If there should be any further communication on this subject necessary, will you kindly telegraph the names of the petitioners?

James Mackay,
Ohinemuri.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Matiu Poono me ona hoa e 61.

He pukapuka-inoi tenei nga etahi tangata Maori o Hotereni Hauraki e kiia aua i roto i taua pukapuka-inoi e ruritia ana e Te Make (Mr. Mackay) etahi whenua o ratou kei Hauraki kei Piako hoki, a e inoi ana ratou kia whakamutua taua ruri, notemea kahore i whakamana e ratou.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—E kitea ana e te Komiti i runga i te kimikimihanga notemea i runga i nga kupu a Te Make i e pukapuka-waea e man ana i raro iho nei ki te page 23Kai-tuhi o te Tari Maori i tuhia i te 10 o Oketopa, 1876, kahore he ruri pokanoa pera me tera e whakahengia ana i roto i te pukapuka-inoi o whakakaeretia ana inaianei, kahore a te Komiti kupu.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Oketopa 24, 1876.

Ki Te Kai-tuhi, Tari Maori, Poneke.

(Pukapuka-waea.)

Kereamataone, 10.45 i te ata,

11th Oketopa, 1876.

Ki taku whakaaro no Ngatimaru a Matiu Poono ratou ko ana hoa na ratou te pukapuka-inoi. Mehemea e tika ana tena me ki atu ahau i ata kapea ki waho o te ruri o nga whenua ki Piako i te tau kua hori nei te wahi e kiia ana e ratou no ratou. Heoi ano nga wahi i whakahaerea e au ko nga whenua o Ngatipaoa nga wahi i hokona e ratou i Hauraki. Kua oti katoa nga ruri. Heoti ano te ruri kei te whakahaerea inaianei kei Waitoa e tata ana ki Ohinemuri i tukua e Ngatitamatera a kahore rawa a Matiu Poono ratou ko Ngatimaru e kaha ki te ki e whai paanga ana ratou ki reira ahakoa iti noa iho. Kia pai nga rangi kia ahei ai te ruri i nga wahi repo, e mea ana ahau kia whakaotia te ruri o Piako a mehemea ka pa tetahi wahi ka tata ranei ki nga wahi e kiia ana e Ngatimaru e Matiu Poono ranei no ratou ka tukua e ahau he panui ki a ratou kia haere atu ratou ki te tohutohu i o ratou rohe. Me tino whakahe te mahi arai tona putake nei he whakaroa kau a mehemea e mahia tupatotia ana kia tae te ruri ki nga wahi o Ngatipaoa o Ngatitamatera anake kia kapea atu nga wahi e pa ai—ahakoa iti noa iho nei te paanga—a Ngatimaru kahore ahau e whakapono he take pouri to ratou. Mehemea e hiahiatia ana tetahi atu kupu mo tenei mea, patua mai nga ingoa o nga kai-inoi i runga i te waea.

James Mackay. (Na Te Make),
Ohinemuri.