Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on Petition of Tukukino and 113 Others]

Report on Petition of Tukukino and 113 Others.

The petitioners state that certain land belonging to them at Ohinemuri has been wrongly included in land sold to one Mr. Thorpe, and that they did not appear to oppose the sale, because they did not know it was being made.

This appears to be the revival of an old dispute, the correspondence and documents concerning which have been submitted to the Committee; but no new evidence has been produced.

I am directed to report as follows:—The Committee are absolutely unable to determine whether or not there exist good grounds for the claim advanced by the petitioners, and can only recommend that inquiry be made by the Government through their officers residing in the district, with the view of ascertaining whether a real grievance exists.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

6th October, 1876.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Tukukino me ona hoa 113.

E ki ana nga kai-inoi kua whakaurua hetia tetahi whenua no ratou kei Ohinemuri ki roto ki te whenua i hokona ki a Mr. Thorpe, a kahore ratou i tae atu ki te whakahe i te hoko notemea kahore ratou i mohio e hokona ana.

Ko te ahua o tenei mea he whakahou i tetahi tautohe tawhito, kua whakaaturia nga pukapuka me nga reta ki te Komiti engari kahore he kupu hou i puta.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—Kahore rawa te Komiti e kaha ki te ki tuturu mehemea he take tika kahore ranei mo te tono a nga kai-inoi, heoi ano te kupu ma te Komiti he ki atu kia kimihia e te Kawanatanga ki a ratou apiha e noho ana ki taua takiwa, kia kitea ai mehemea e tika ana te pouritanga o nga kai-inoi.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Oketopa 6, 1876.