Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on the Petition of Manihera te Rangitakaiwaho and Others of Wairarapa]

page 17

Report on the Petition of Manihera te Rangitakaiwaho and Others of Wairarapa.

This is a petition from Natives of the Wairarapa, complaining that their lake, Wairarapa, has been improperly purchased by the Government Commissioners, inasmuch as the majority of the chiefs and their hapus objected to the sale of the same. They state that, in land sales, this lake has always been set aside as a reserve for the Natives.

I am directed to report as follows:—That the Committee are satisfied, from the evidence they have taken, that the majority of the owners of the lake have not joined in the sale, and they are of opinion that it would have been better that the title should have been investigated by the Native Lands Court, previous to the completion of the purchase; and the Committee are further of opinion that the petitioners, and any other Natives who may allege a claim, ought to have an opportunity of proving their title, if they are able to do so, before the Native Lands Court.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

29th September, 1876.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Manihera te Rangitakaiwaho ma o Wairarapa.

He pukapuka-inoi tenei na nga tangata o Wairarapa he whakaatu i to ratou pouri mo te hokonga hetanga o to ratou roto i Wairarapa e nga Komihana o te Kawanatanga inahoki i whakahe te nuinga o nga rangatira me o ratou hapu ki taua hoko. E ki ana ratou, i wehea i kapea tonutia taua roto i nga wa o nga hokonga whenua katoa hei wahi porowhita mo nga Maori.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—E marama ana te Komiti i runga i nga korero kua whakarangona e ratou kahore i uru te nuinga o nga tangata no ratou te roto ki te hoko, a e whakaaro ana te Komiti he mea pai mehemea i whakawakia e te Kooti Whakawa Whenua Maori te take o nga tangata ki taua roto i mua atu o te whakaotinga o te hoko; a e whakaaro ana hoki te Komiti he mea tika kia tukua ki nga Kai-inoi ki etahi atu Maori ranei e ki ana e whai take ana ki reira tetahi takiwa hei whakatuturutanga i to ratou take, mehemea ia ka taea e ratou te whakatuturu, i te aroaro o te Kooti Whakawa Whenua Maori.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Hepetema 29, 1876.