Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on the Petition of Matiaha Mokai and 4 Others]

Report on the Petition of Matiaha Mokai and 4 Others.

The petitioners state that they hold a certificate under the Native Lands Act for a block of land in the District of the Wairarapa, called Ahikouka, and they pray for the issue of the Crown grant in terms of that certificate.

The Committee have thought it necessary to make very full inquiry into this case by the examination of two of the petitioners, and by taking the evidence of Ngatuere, the Native chief, whose opposition has been the cause of the non-issue of the Crown grant up to the present time.

Mr. Clarke, of the Native Office, and Mr. Karaitiana Takamoana, M.H.R., have also been examined.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That, in the opinion of the Committee, the danger of any trouble arising from the issue of the grant has been over-estimated by the Native Department.

The Committee recommend, therefore, that the grant should be issued in the terms of the certificate, and as required by law, without further delay.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

10th August, 1876.

[Teanslation.]
Ko te kupu a te Komiti mo te runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Matiaha Mokai me ona hoa e 4.

E ki ana nga Kai-inoi kei a ratou tetahi pukapuka Tiwhikete i whakaputaina i runga i te mana o Te Ture mo nga Whenua Maori mo tetahi piihi whenua kei Wairarapa tona ingoa ko Te Ahikouka, a e inoi ana ratou kia whakaputaina te Karauna karaati i runga i taua Tiwhikete.

I whakaaro te Komiti kia ata kimihia nga tikanga katoa o tenei mea whakarangona ana nga korero a nga tangata kai-inoi tokorua, whakarangona ana hoki nga korero a Ngatuere te rangatira Maori na tona pakeke ki te whakahe i kore ai e whakaputaina te Karauna karaati taea noatia tenei wa.

I pataia hoki a Te Karaka, o te Tari Maori, a Karaitiana Takamoana, M.H.R., hoki.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Ko te whakaaro o te Komiti, kua whakanuia e te Tari Maori te wehi kei tupu he raruraru i runga i te whakaputanga o te Karauna karaati koia i whakapuakina ai e te Komiti ta ratou whakaaro kia tere te whakaputa te Karauna karaati i runga i te Tiwhikite i runga hoki i nga tikanga o te Ture.

John Bryce, Tumuaki.

Akuhata 10, 1876.