Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Correspondence Relative to the Manawatu Block

[Enclosure 22 in No. 1.]

Enclosure 22 in No. 1.

Copy of a Letter from Aperahama Te Huruhuru to His Honor I. E. Featherston.

Ohinepuhiawe,

10 Hepetema, 1866.

Ki a te Petatone,—

E hoa, tena koe, kia rongo mai koe, kua tae mai ahau ki konei kua rongo ahau kua maunu i a Te Wiremu raua ko Tamihana nga pou a Nepia raua ko te Pakeha, a i pana e raua taua Pakeha—ka tohe ka tohe, katahi ka ki a Te Wiremu mehemea ka tohe koe, ka patua koe e ahau, ka ki hoki a Tamihana me mutu, kaore te Pakeha i rongo tohe tonu te Pakeha ratou ko ana Maori, e puta atu te reta a te pupuri whenua ki a koe kei whakarongo koe ki ta ratou reta—ko ta ratou mahi he whakahe i a korua ko Te Pura me o korua hoa Maori hoki.

Ka mutu,

Na Aperahama te Huruhuru.

[Translation.]

To Dr. Featherston,—

Ohinepuhiawe, Rangitikei, 10th September, 1866.

Friend! Salutations to you. Do you hearken ? I have arrived here, and I have heard that the poles put up by Nepia and the European have been taken down by Wiremu and Tamihana To Whareakaka, and the European sent away. He persisted and persisted on. At last Wiremu said, "if you still persist I will strike you (or kill)." Tamihana then said, "let it end." The white man would not hear; the white man and Maoris still persisted.

If you should receive a letter from the withholders of land do not heed it: their work is to obstruct yours, Mr. Buller's, and your Maori friends. Ended.