Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Papers Relative to the Native Meeting Held at Peria, in October, 1862

Translation. — Te Raihi to his Excellency the Governor

Translation.
Te Raihi to his Excellency the Governor.

Matamata, October 28, 1862.

Friend, Governor Grey,—

Salutations to yon! The work of the Runanga Maori which met at my place is ended. Hearken! In my opinion the work of this Runanga Maori was not clear: one man said one thing and one another. The things decided upon by that Runanga were, that the road should not cross Mangatawhiri, and that the large boat should not sail in the Waikato. These words they have made a law for themselves. These were the only words that were clear in my opinion.

This was Matutaera's speech: Hearken, O tribes from the North, West, and South. We are all black skinned, but let us be white inside; we are also Chiefs, let us hold fast to religion.

These were the only words that were clear to me. The words of most of the Chiefs were not very clear. Some approved of the word, others condemned it. One proposition was, that Waitara should be investigated. Some Chiefs approve of that place being investigated, others are against it. Friend, there were many words spoken, but who can write them all? Hear what the Bishop of New Zealand has to say, and then you will hear what was right and wrong at this meeting. Enough.

From Te Raihi.

We are coming to see you in November or December, and to hear your words.