Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Papers Relative to the Native Meeting Held at Peria, in October, 1862

Translation. — Hetaraka Nero To Mr. Halse

Translation.
Hetaraka Nero To Mr. Halse.

Raglan, November 5,1862.

Friend, Mr. Halse,—

Salutations to you. I am waiting for an answer to my letter: I now write to you a second time. I went to Peria where the great meeting of the chiefs of this island was held. That meeting was for the purpose of stopping the roads, to prevent the road being carried across Mangatawhiri, and to stop the Raglan road from being taken to Waipa. The stopping of these two roads was proclaimed by that meeting. After the proclamation Wiremu Tamehana arose and spoke out this word to the meeting," This is to be a law for us for ever, If the Governor breaks his road (i.e., attempts to make it) he will do wrong; If I break my road I shall do wrong, that is, war will be made upon us by the Maori King party," In the midst of the talk I got up and said, "The Governor has three pieces of land on one side (the other side) of Mangatawhiri, namely. Mere-mere, Te Kohekohe, and Takinga "Wairua, those will not be given up." Their reply was, " They shall not be given; it is well, he gave his money himself." I said, " The work on these roads will not be discontinued."

Wiremu Tamehana arose and said, "The Governor commenced the stopping; he stopped (the sale of) guns, powder, and lead; the object of his stopping (these things) was lest the Maoris should get guns and turn upon him, and my object in stopping the roads is that the Pakehas may not have access to me to attack me. This is why I stop the roads."

There is much more korero besides this.

From your friend,

Hetaraka Nero.

To Mr. Halse,

Auckland.