Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Papers Relative to the Native Meeting Held at Peria, in October, 1862

Translation. — Heta Tauranga To The Honorable The Native Minister

Translation.
Heta Tauranga To The Honorable The Native Minister.

Kirikiriroa, November 1st, 1862.

To Mr. Bell, at Auckland,—

Friend, greeting! This is my messenger to you about the talk of the great Runanga of New Zealand held at Peria.

1.The road at Mangatawhiri: it must not be continued (be made) on this side.
2.The road at Whaingaroa: it must not cross Waitetuna.
3.The steamer must not enter the Waikato.
4.Fighting about land is to be discontinued. The land is to be adjudicated according to law.
5.Credit for European goods is to be discontinued.—Romans, xiii. 8.
6.The Europeans who are living amongst us, whether ministers or Pakeha-Maoris, must not be ill treated, but must be taken care of. Europeans who, in our estimation, conduct themselves badly, are to be sent back to Auckland.
7.The Governor should (be asked to) come to Waikato upon a day to be appointed, that he may at once explain to us his great word (intentions) in the presence of the Maori people; and also that the natives may make known their word (or intentions) to him personally. Should the talk on that day be good, the Waitara question will afterwards be investigated.

Friend, The talk about (the investigation of) Waitara was not quite settled; many people were in favour of the investigation of Waitara, and many people were opposed to it. But, in my opinion, the investigation of Waitara will be (accomplished) carried, because there were many people of wisdom who were in favour of the investigation.

This is all I have to say to you.

Greeting! May God protect you,

From your humble servant,

Heta Tauranga.