Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Nelson Historical Society Journal, Volume 7, Issue 1, 2009

Extract Of A Letter From A Lady Dated 26th August, 1847

page 37

Extract Of A Letter From A Lady Dated 26th August, 1847

"You ask me to tell you about our live stock. We find "We keep a few pigs for the purpose of hams and bacon, but they are a thing I do not take much interest in". fowls, particularly turkeys, such a great nuisance in the garden, that we are obliged to give up keeping them, for which I am exceedingly sorry, as they do so very well here.

Last summer we reared thirty very fine turkeys, and never gave them a thing from the time they were a week old. They lived principally on the locusts in summer, of which there are great abundance; they were all remarkably fine flavoured during the time the locusts were about.

We keep a few pigs for the purpose of hams and bacon, but they are a thing I do not take much interest in. Horses, cows, and dogs, are my favourites amongst animals. My little Jessy is a great favourite with us both. She is a very fine tempered horse. We have two other mares, and two foals.

Our garden is beginning to look very nice; we have been planting lots of fruit trees in it, and native shrubs, so that in a few years we shall be quite shut in with trees, which will be delightful. All the trees here grow very fast, particularly peach and almond trees. We have some of the latter in our garden that are only three years old and about fourteen feet high [about 4½ metres] – they are at present covered with blossom, but we do not feel sure, whether they will ripen here".