Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Journal of the Nelson and Marlborough Historical Societies, Volume 1, Issue 1, October 1981

Elephant and Castle – 1866

Elephant and Castle – 1866

Just on the boundary of Richmond, on the main Road to Appleby, stood the Elephant and Castle, the seventh hotel serving travellers in the area. It, too, was named after an inn in South London. Built in 1866, it stood back from the roadway, surrounded by sycamore and elm trees. The dairy, store room and stables were of cobb. Henry Hubbard was the only proprietor listed. After his death in 1872, his wife soon ended the trading and used it as a private dwelling. A clump of elms on Taylor's property (1981) marks the site.