Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Nelson Historical Society Journal, Volume 3, Issue 6, October 1980


That Thomas Blick was the father of the New Zealand Woollen Industry is an undisputed fact. The story of the establishment of his mill in Upper Brook Street in June 1845 and the subsequent operation off and on for the next 12 years has been well documented by historians. Elsewhere in this Journal appears an article which tells the fascinating story of Blick's early beginnings. There has always been a grey area in the history of the Nelson Woollen Industry from 1857 to 1876 and after ten years research the writer hopes now "to put the record straight," as regards those years which till today have been ill recorded, if at all.

Thomas Blick lived in Tetbury Hill, Stroud, Gloucestershire until he left for New Zealand in 1842. Among his fellow Baptist worshippers and near neighbours, was Joseph Webley who, in 1857, received a letter from Blick asking him to consider coming out to Nelson and managing the Brook Street mill. Webley had a very good position as manager of a large mill in Stroud but the temptation was strong, and in October 1857 he set sail from London together with his wife and five children on the ship Cresswell of 575 tons arriving in Nelson on February 9th, 1858.

A short time later Joseph Webley, then aged 43, entered a partnership as Blick & Webley, for we find in the pages of the Examiner of the time, references to the mill in Brook Street and to the cloth from it under the title of Blick & Webley. So as to be near his workplace, Joseph Webley purchased a newly built house in Brook Street from William L. Wrey, later prominent in the Dun Mountain mining scheme.

The partnership was from all accounts amicable but when Thomas Blick died in November 1860 his sons did not wish to continue in partnership, so this was dissolved and Joseph Webley removed all the plant and machinery to new premises in Bridge Street opposite Trask Gates. The new factory was much more modern with machinery purchased in Sydney installed and steam power used for motivation.

page 27

At this time Joseph Webley's elder brother was persuaded to emigrate and help in the mill. This Webley (James), and his five children (including the author's grandfather), left the English Channel on May 5th, 1861 and arrived in Nelson, August 31st. The trip was a nightmare, the ship being dismasted in a gale on July 5th off the Cape of Good Hope. Passengers did not disembark in Nelson for a few days, no reason is given. The ship was the Sir James Pollock of 570 tons. On his arrival in Nelson James Webley and Joseph Webley commenced as Webley & Sons, Steam Cloth Works.

The firm continued to trade successfully and established a very high standard of production earning a good reputation not only in New Zealand
Joseph Webley and his wife.– (Nelson Provincial Museum).

Joseph Webley and his wife.
– (Nelson Provincial Museum).

page 28but also abroad. The tweed cloth from their looms won a Silver Medal at the first Dunedin Exhibition and subsequently a Bronze Medal at Vienna, a Silver Medal at Christchurch and another at the Nelson Exhibition.

Though historians like Broad and others have apparently ignored or not researched Webley Cloth, the Nelson newspapers certainly saw fit to record their pleasure at the continuation and improvement of the mill and its products. The Examiner for instance, on February 12, 1859 carries an article referring to the fact that the manufacture of cloth in Nelson from wool grown in the Province has again been commenced, twice in the article is the name of Blick & Webley referred to. Also in the same issue a Joseph Webb, Tailor, of Trafalgar Square, advertises Nelson Cloth.

Numerous references are to be found in the files of the Colonist to Webley's Nelson Cloth. In March 1871 an article tells of the supply of an additional 100 yards to the Government for Volunteer uniforms. Again in 1872 a letter to the Editor extols the virtue of Nelson Tweed by a very satisfied Scottish sportsman.

Early Nelson Directories and Bartholomews Directory show advertisements for Webley Bros. Steam Cloth Works, Bridge Street, Nelson. Joseph Webley operated the mill with his sons and nephews until his retirement in 1871. His family carried on for some years but competition was becoming strong with the establishment of first the Mosgiel Woollen Mills followed by many others from 1871 onwards, and the Nelson Mill began to feel the pinch.

In 1876 Webley Bros. found the going too hard and no longer economic, so they ceased business. The buildings and land at Bridge Street were sold to a Mr S. Kirkpatrick who commenced his jam factory, and later moved to Vanguard Street. The machinery was sold to the Kaiapoi Woollen Company. Joseph Webley spent a short time working for them and supervising the installation of his machines.

The writer's father, S. S. Collier, was on a visit to the Kaiapoi Mill in the late 1940's and was shown some of the machines from the Nelson Woollen Mill still being used.

Webley's Nelson Cloth was of a very high quality tweed which compared favourably with English and Scottish products. During the factory's thirty-odd years existence, quality steadily improved, the cloth progressing from a tough wiry tweed suitable for work clothing to the fabric of later years sought after by good tailors of suits for town and country wear.