Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Nelson Historical Society Journal, Volume 3, Issue 6, October 1980

The Iron Post Box

The Iron Post Box

Standing on the pavement outside the Ministry of Works Residency is an old iron post box of a style once familiar in city streets but now seldom seen. We quote from an article written by the late Halkett Miller in the Evening Mail 1953. "Late in 1863 Mr Stafford, in the House of Representatives, had advocated the provision of pillarboxes for the convenience of those who posted letters and were not within easy distance of a Post Office. But his idea did not take the towns into consideration. He said the pillarboxes should be erected at all the more prominent crossroads in the country areas.

"The idea was taken up and the Post Office set about obtaining a supply, only, by the time they were ready, the crossroads idea had been dropped in favour of placing them in the settled areas. So, before many months were out, the first of the new affairs had been erected. They were heavy in design with an ornate top-knot, a wide mouth and a solid base, the whole done in cast-iron. Two of these were allotted to Nelson – one to go outside the new Post Office (where Cock's & Co.'s building now stands) and the other in Hardy Street at the rear of the Provincial Council Chambers."

The one in Hardy Street is still there and still in use. The other is now outside the Museum at Isel Park and is not used by the Post Office.