Nelson Historical Society Journal, Volume 2, Issue 3, November 1968
A grandson of A. G. Jenkins (who arrived in Nelson on the "Lord Auckland" in February 1842) retired here after a distinguished career as a surgeon in Dunedin.
Following a meeting at his house in May 1954, the Nelson Historical Society was formed, Mr. Jenkins being elected Chairman of the Records Committee. During the next 12 years he led an enthusiastic group in systematically collecting information, including photographs, as well as museum pieces, most of which would otherwise have been lost to Nelson. This committee also assembled a comprehensive historical library.
In 1954 he was elected Chairman of the Nelson Regional Committee of the New Zealand Historic Places Trust.
Mr. Jenkins realised at an early stage that proper buildings would be required to house the Society's and other valuable collections, and was largely instrumental in persuading public bodies to form the Nelson Provincial Museum Trust for raising funds.
In 1963 the Museum Trust Board decided to build in the magnificent grounds of Isel House, Stoke, acquired by the Nelson City Council in 1959. Unfortunately, the building programme has not yet been started.
Despite such disappointments, Mr. Jenkins retains a keen interest in the Society, being Prsident 1966–67, but relinquishing this post for health reasons, staying as Past President on the Committee where his experienced advice is invaluable.