Nelson Historical Society Journal, Volume 2, Issue 1, 1966
The road with the change of direction in the middle always appears to have existed in that form. The Gaol stood here with its memories of the Maungatapu murderers and behind this the Hallowell cemetery running down to Collingwood Street. The Lutheran Church stood for many years until our lifetime on the high ground behind the Education Board offices.
Named after the Earl of Shelburne (with no -o), Prime Minister of England in 1782–3. Of course, there was also the famous Shelburne Hotel in Dublin.