Illustrated Guide to Christchurch and Neighbourhood
New Zealand Insurance Company
New Zealand Insurance Company.
This Company, whose headquarters are in Auckland, dates from 1859. Amongst its promoters were Sir F. Whitaker, C.M.G., Hon. T. Russell, C.M.G, Hon. James Williamson, M.L.C., and Messrs. Browning, Owen, and Stone, nearly all of whom are still on the Directory. Having every reason to be satisfied with their success, these gentlemen, two years after-wards, founded the Bank of New Zealand, followed by other great financial institutions, which have materially aided in the progress of the colony.
The Insurance Company commenced with the modest paid-up capital of £6250; now, the paid-up capital is £200,000, with a Reserve and Reinsurance Fund of £200,000. It has branches and agencies throughout Australasia, and in America, England, Scotland, Africa, India, and China; so it seems to deserve the page 157title of "Premier Colonial Company," which it lays claim to.
The Canterbury Manager, since 1868, is Mr. David Craig, who was previously chief clerk in the Head Office in Auckland. He is deservedly popular, and his able management has resulted, in the Company securing the largest business in its line in Christchurch. He is also a prominent man in all social and commercial matters in the city.
Our illustration gives the Hereford-street view of the Christchurch office. The Building extends back to Cathedral-square, the frontage to which is very handsome.