Illustrated Guide to Christchurch and Neighbourhood
Addington Flour Mills
Addington Flour Mills.
Mr. George Paunell's flour mills have a frontage on the Lincoln road, a little below the Addington railway station, the ground extending back to a siding of the railway. They were established about the year 1864, and were purchased by the present proprietor five years ago. The mill and appurtenances occupy an acre of ground, and is worked on the gradual reduction system, four pairs of stones being used; three working on wheat, and one on middlings, which are capable of turning out 350 bushels in the 24 hours. The motive power is a horizontal compound condensing engine, of 16-h.p. nominal, capable of working up to 25 h.p., supplied with steam from a Cornish boiler, with Galloway tubes of 25-h.p. The wheat-cleansing machinery consists of a patent winnowing machine and a patent "Economy Smutter." The dressing machinery consists of two silks and centrifugal flour machines and flour-mixer. All the machinery is driven by belts right from the engine off the fly-wheel, which is 7 feet 6 inches in diameter, and 1 foot on the face. Nothing but Newcastle slack is used for fuel, of which about half-a-ton is consumed in thirteeen hours. Mr Pannell has been awarded for his flour at various exhibitions, as follows:—a medal and certificate of merit at Vienna; a medal and certificate at the Christchurch Exhibition of exhibits for Vienna, prior to their being sent away; a certificate of merit at the Melbourne Exhibition; and a certificate and medal at the New Zealand "International," of 1882.