Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Illustrated Guide to Christchurch and Neighbourhood

Messrs. Miles & Co

Messrs. Miles & Co.

Messrs. Miles & Co., merchants, agents, and auctioneers, Christchurch, are one of the oldest—if not the oldest—firm in Canterbury, having commenced business in Lyttelton in 1857. The firm originally was "Miles, Kington & Co.," a branch of the very old and well-known Bristol house, Miles Bros. & Co. Their first premises in Lyttelton were on Norwich Quay, commonly known then as the Beach, facing the sea between Canterbury and Oxford streets. After a few years they built stores of red stone, near the Union Bank, at the foot of the Bridle-path, on a spot since removed to make room for the railway and the tunnel. About 1859 the firm opened a branch in Christchurch, at the corner of Armagh and Colombo streets; and in 1863, having built their premises, with a frontage of 133 feet in Hereford-street, a view of which we give among our illustrations, the headquarters of their business in this colony were removed to it. These premises include large offices and warehouses, and a wool and land auction room; while in a large three-storey, brick building is the firm's bond and free store. They have also large wool and grain stores at the railway station, with railway sidings running into them at Colombo-street and Waltham-road. They have always held a leading position in Canterbury, embracing a large connection with the sheep-farmers and agriculturists through their houses at Christchurch and Timaru. They are, besides, the local agents for the Royal Fire and Life Insurance Company, and for the Australian and New Zealand Mortgage Company (Limited). An illustration is given of their wool-page 162store at the railway, just prior to one of their season's wool sales. Their firm in London is Miles Brothers & Co., of 79, Gracechurch-street.