Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

From Tasman To Marsden.

1. Furneaux Visits Tolaga Bay, 1773

1. Furneaux Visits Tolaga Bay, 1773.

The circumstances surrounding the sending out of a second Expedition under Cook have been already dealt with when reviewing the events connected with the exploration of the South Island, and there is no need to do more here than refer to them in the most cursory manner.

Cook's Second Expedition comprised two vessels, the Resolution under Cook himself, and the Adventure under Tobias Furneaux. It sailed from England in July 1772, and from the Cape of Good Hope the following November. On 8th February 1773 the two vessels separated, and Furneaux made for Van Diemen's Land, where he spent some time exploring the southern and eastern coastline. From there he sailed for Queen Charlotte Sound, where he came to an anchor on 7th April, and eleven days later was joined by Cook who had in the meantime refreshed his crew in Dusky Sound.

During the Expedition's visit to Tahiti, which took place later, the two vessels were in company, and after leaving that place the association continued until 21st October, when, on their road to Queen Charlotte Sound once more, they sighted the east coast of New Zealand at Table Head.

page 76

Making south, Furneaux, on 25th October, encountered a very severe gale in the latitude of Cape Palliser, and, four days later, lost sight of the Resolution. A short spell of fine weather was experienced on 4th November, and some canoes took advantage of it to pay a visit to the Adventure, but after getting round Cape Palliser a heavy N.W. gale came up, which shortly chopped round to the south and very nearly cast the Adventure on to the Cape. After a fortnight of vain effort to get through the Strait, Furneaux, on 6th November, made for the shelter of one of the bays further up the coast.

On the ninth the anchor was let go in Tolaga Bay, and after two days Furneaux put to sea, but bad weather compelled him to return to his anchorage and kept him there until the sixteenth. During the stay at Tolaga Bay fresh fish, herbs, and sweet potatoes, were brought to the ship's side in great quantities, and the Natives showed themselves very friendly in their dealings with the visitors.

Though the Adventure left Tolaga Bay on 16th November, it was not until the afternoon of the thirtieth that Furneaux reached Ship Cove and found that Cook had come and gone. In a letter left in the Cove the Commander stated that he was sailing on the twenty-sixth, and would cruise for three or four days about the eastern mouth of the Strait. As during the whole of these days Furneaux had been in and about the eastern mouth of the Strait, it seemed strange that they had missed one another. As a matter of fact Cook sailed on the twenty-fifth, and that day searched Cape Terawitte and along to Cape Palliser; the following day he sailed over in the direction of Cape Campbell, and in the evening made south in continuation of his voyage.