Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Proclamation

Proclamation.

In the name of Her Majesty Queen Victoria, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland: By William Hobson, Esquire, a Captain of the Royal Navy, Lieutenant-Governor of New Zealand.

Whereas I have it in command from Her Majesty Queen Victoria, through her Principal Secretary of State for the Colonies, to assert the sovereign rights page 370 of Her Majesty over the Southern Islands of New Zealand, commonly called “The Middle Island” and “Stewart's Island,” and also the island commonly called “The Northern Island,” the same having been ceded in sovereignty to Her Majesty:

Now, therefore, I, William Hobson, Lieutenant-Governor of New Zealand, do hereby proclaim and declare to all men that, from and after the date of these presents, the full sovereignty of the Islands of New Zealand, extending from 34 degrees 30 minutes North to 47 degrees 10 minutes South latitude, and between 166 degrees 5 minutes to 179 degrees of East longitude, vests in Her Majesty Queen Victoria, her heirs and successors, for ever.

Given under my hand at Government House, Russell, Bay of Islands, this 21st day of May, in the Year of our Lord 1840.

William Hobson,

Lieutenant-Governor.
By His Excellency's command

Willoughby Shortland,

Colonial Secretary.