Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Proclamation

Proclamation.

In the name of Her Majesty Victoria, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland: By William Hobson, Esquire, a Captain in the Royal Navy, Lieutenant-Governor of New Zealand.

Whereas by a Treaty bearing date the 6th day of February, in the Year of Our Lord 1840, made and executed by me, William Hobson, a Captain in the Royal Navy, Consul and Lieutenant-Governor in New Zealand, vested for this purpose with full powers by Her Britannic Majesty, of the one part, and the Chiefs of the Confederation of the United Tribes of New Zealand and of the separate and independent chiefs of New Zealand, not members of the Confederation, of the other, and further ratified and confirmed by the adherence of the principal Chiefs of this Island of New Zealand, commonly called “The Northern Island,” all rights and powers of sovereignty over the said Northern Island were ceded to Her Majesty the Queen of page 369 Great Britain and Ireland, absolutely and without reservation.

Now therefore I, William Hobson, Lieutenant-Governor of New Zealand, in the name and on the behalf of Her Majesty, do hereby proclaim and declare to all men that, from and after the date of the above-mentioned Treaty, the full sovereignty of the Northern Island of New Zealand vests in Her Majesty Queen Victoria, her heirs and successors, for ever.

Given under my hand at Government House, Russell, Bay of Islands, this 21st Day of May, in the year of our Lord 1840.

William Hobson,

Lieutenant-Governor.
By His Excellency's command

Willoughby Shortland,

Colonial Secretary.