Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Historical Records of New Zealand Vol. II.

Records Relating to the Enderby — Expeditions

page 554

Records Relating to the Enderby

The three Journals comprising these Records consist of—


The Journal of Captain John Biscoe, of the brig “Tula,” 148 tons, with the cutter “Lively,” 49 tons, in company, from 10th October to 22nd December, 1831.


The Journal of Captain John Balleny, of the schooner “Eliza Scott,” 154 tons, with the “Sabrina,” 54 tons, in company, from 2nd December, 1838, to 17th January, 1839.


A Journal supposed to be kept by the chief mate of the “Eliza Scott,” and covering the same period.

The manuscripts of the three Journals are in the possession of the Royal Geographical Society, London, and none of them had been published until permission was given the Editor to do so, in his own works, and in these Records.

The proprietors of these vessels were the Messrs. Enderby of London, who had been engaged in the whaling trade in these waters from the very first. Though small vessels they had more than the usual equipment, and were sent to look for seas and lands in the high altitudes, where perhaps might be found whales and seals as yet undisturbed. The best source of information concerning these Expeditions is the “Antarctic Manual,” published under the auspices of the Royal Geographical Society in 1901, where will be seen the Antarctic exploration-work accomplished by them both. From the point of view of enlarging the fishing and sealing grounds nothing was gained, and the loss of the “Sabrina” with all on board meant a very serious disbursement for the Messrs. Enderby. The second Expedition reached London in time to give Captain Ross, just then setting out for the south, full particulars of its experiences. It was a singular coincidence that the Commander of the second Expedition met in 1839, at Preservation Harbour in Campbell Island, the Commander of the first Expedition of 1831.

page 555


Extract from the Journal of John Biscoe of the BrigTula,” with the CutterLively” in Company.
[Manuscript in the possession of the Royal Geographical Society, London.]

October 10th, 1831.

I intended to have gone through Decastreaux Channel understanding it to be a convenient & safe place for wooding, &c., but the wind coming directly out of the entrance thought it most advisable to save time by anchoring in our old quarters, Bull Bay, and at about 4 p.m. brought up well sheltered by the Point to the S.E. and commenced operations.

On the 12th in the Morning having cut as much wood as could be conveniently stowd away, weighed and stood out to Sea, and being in hopes of falling in with some sperm whale along shore, kept near the Coast for that purpose.

On the 15th it blew a strong gale from the Northward which shifted round W. & W.S.W. until the night of the 17th the Bar appearing to behave very well. I now determined to pass round the North Cape of New Zealand, the Season for sperm whale coming on on that Coast, and not seeing anything here, and besides having a chance of procuring refreshments from that Island, our salt provisions being of the first consequence (should we not succeed in falling in with anything in passing round) for the remainder of our voyage. But from this time until the 30th the Weather has been so very unsettled almost continually blowing too strong to lower a Boat, that had we seen any Fish we could not have taken advantage of it.

October 30th.

Pass'd round the North Cape and shaped a Course for the Mouth of the Bay of Islands. On the 1st A.M. stood in for the Bay intending to stop a short time here for compleating the Water Wood &c. & get refreshments if possible, and likewise to Examine the Cutter's Bowsprit, Mr. Avery having informed me it was sprung and that a sea at the same time had split his Jib a short time since. At 11 A.M. some New Zealanders came alongside in a Canoe, but had nothing with them except a few Cray Fish and two or three young Birds they had picked up off the rocks. Shortly after a Mr. Hansen came on board with 2 of the chiefs, and being told by them that Pigs might be procured at their Village, I determined to go in to Anchor and at 2 p.m. page 556 brought up in a Small well-sheltered Bay in about 5 fathoms water.

November 1st.

It does not appear to me that this Bay has been much used for the purpose of refreshing, but from its advantages in entering from or running out again to Sea, not being more than 4 miles from Point Pocock* and being likewise clear of any danger (with the exception of 2 or 3 sunken rocks which lay close over to a small Rock on the inside of the Bay) I should certainly recommend this strongly to strangers, there being several dangers in the Passage round to Kearadier. Immediately after anchoring Great numbers of the Natives came on board, and as Mr. Hansen had informed me they were quite harmless I did not restrain them; Our trade of course commenced immediately, Muskets, Blankets & To bacco being the Articles most in requisition among them.

* Now Cape Wiwiki, the northern head of the Bay of Islands.

Kororareka, where the township of Russell now is.

November 4th.

On the 3rd and 4th we were busily employed in setting up the rigging Watering Wooding &c. On the morning of this day the 4th the Cutter's Bowsprit being sprung I went over in the Boat to Kearadier to endeavour to procure a spar to make one. I found one 37 feet long for wh I paid 36 lbs. of Brazil Tobacco. Having compleated on the 4th and procured about 28 Pigs some of which were very large, on the 5th We stood out to Sea in the hopes of finding some sperm Whale off the East Cape, before proceeding to the Southward, but strong Gales continuing to blow we saw nothing and if we had; could not have lowered a Boat.

November 8th.

On the 8th at noon our Lat. by observatn. was 36° 48′ S Long. 178°. .07′ East East Cape South about 40 miles, Barometer continuing to act very well being now 29.15 & Blowing a strong Gale from the W.S.W. I was much surprised to hear from Mr. Hansen whilst laying at New Zealand that although there are several Missionaries both of the established church and of the Wesleyan persuasion they refuse to educate the children of the White Settlers, their excuse being that they were sent out to instruct the Heathen only; Mr. H. has a very large family, and if this be strictly true, it is an extremely hard case, but I merely repeat the words of Mr. H. for altho' there were two Missionaries settled at the small village already mentioned, page 557 neither of them had the politeness to hold the least communication with me.

November 9th.

The Gales continuing until 6 A.M. of the 11th. I considered it only a waste of time to remain any longer in this Latitude with the chance of getting Sperm Whale, and as Chatham Island was not out of our Course, and not having heard of any ships having been there lately I determined if the Weather permitted to look at it before going further to the Southward, and desired the Cutter in case of parting to meet me to Leeward of that Island on the 11th at Noon. Our Lat. was 39° 13′ S. Long. 178° 15′ West. The Bar. which had been gradually rising for the last 2 days, now stood at 29.40 The Weather hazy with a moderate Breeze from S.W.

November 12th.

From this time until the 16th we had Gales, Calms, & very unsteady weather on the 13th lost sight of the Cutter. On the night of the 16th stood off & on imagining myself off Chatham Islands.

November 17th.

A.M. Much rain & thick weather. At noon made some rocks & head (4 in number) which are called 44° Rocks and at the same time saw the appearance of Land both to the Eastward & Westward. P.M. The Weather being very thick stood to the Northward. 18th thick Hazy Weather the Barometer low.

November 19th.

A.M. Saw Land. 8 Saw the Cutter to the Southward observed her make all sail steering wide of the point of Land I wished to visit made all sail after her but the Wind falling light from the Northwd She drew away from us. At noon our Lat. Obsern, was 43° 40′ South Long. 176.48. East the extremes of Land from W.B.S. to S.E.B.S. Observed the Cutter shorten Sail and heave too with her head to the Eastward fired a Gun and ran down to her with the Ensign at the Mast Head for her to close, when she was little more than Hull down from the deck. The Weather very clear, I imagined of course she must see us and indeed that she had done so all days altho' she did not answer my signal; which I can't account for, I now haul'd in for the Land, to send the Boats on shore thinking the Cutter would follow, but as she still took no notice I kept on intending to pick her up after the Boats should have return'd. At 5 p.m. the Boats returned bringing with them three Natives who seem'd page 558 willing to remain with us, but having seen no seal and as I did not wish to encumber the vessel with these People who for some time to come could do nothing but consume the provisions I sent them on shore again they were quite naked with the exception of a course Mat over the shoulders which seem'd to be used as a roof to them to turn the water off, as the moment they came on deck they squatted down like so many monkeys and the Mat being stiff, of course stuck out something like the shell of a turtle, Added to this a strap of the same material passed under the crutch compleatly concealed what might otherwise have appear'd indelicate. After the Boat had landed them I steer'd E.N.E. to join the Cutter, the weather having become very thick I had for some time lost sight of her. After steering E.N.E. for some time I haul'd to the Wind, and as she always weather'd on the Tula in laying to, I hoped to see her in the Morning. If Mr. Avery did not see the Tula he kept a very bad look out, and if he did, he having been absent for some days, ought to have joined company immediately, at all events he ought not to have passed the point of Land as he did without examining it, this being the only fine day we had had for some time, I cannot account for it. At 6 p.m. the nearest point of Land bore W .½ N. 7 miles, the Wind gradually veer'd round to the Westward and at Midnight blew a strong Gale with thick weather which continued all the 20th & 21st so that we could only stand off & on under the trysails. On the 22nd the Weather was more moderate, stood to the S.W. and at 6 A.M. of the 23rd made the same rocks we had seen before. As the weather was nearly calm at 1 p.m. sent a Boat to them and at 5 she return'd bringing 7 seal skins of excellent fur, but the rocks being nearly perpendicular it was almost impossible to land on any part of them, and as they had only seen a few seal, it was thought these were only stragglers from some Rookery near at hand: I now determined to make Chatham Island and keep along the East Shore, so as to gain the Rocks to the southward, which by their appearance on the Chart were much larger than those we had overhauled, lay to all night to send both Boats again in the Morning but the Wind coming up from the Northward they could not land and

November 24th.

at 8 A.M. I bore up for Chatham Island, the Weather being very hazy at 11 heave too. At noon the Land was seen bearing from N.N.W. to S.W.B.S. P.M. Hazy Weathr the Wind strong from the N.N.W. stood for under the lee of the Northern most Land. 4. The Weather became very thick, during the page 559 Night sounded from 52 to 70 fathoms, sandy bottom & in some places mixed with shells. At Midnight calm.

November 25th.

Thick weather. The Wind Easterly. Barometer very low (29.15) stood to the Northward, it not being safe to make a lee shore of Chatham Island, there being many reefs laid down on the chart. On the 26th the Weather still continuing thick, Wind S.S.E. I determined to bear up and go round the west side of the Island and look at the Sister Rocks in the Way. The Lat. by D.R. at noon was 43° .34′ S. Longit. calculated from the last bearings of the land 176° ..00′ West No observations worth anything for the chronometers for many days. At 4 p.m. saw the Cutter standing to the Eastward. At 8 the Cutter joined Company. Mr. Avery inform'd me that his Boat had been at some Rocks a few days before where there were many Seals, in consequence of which I hauled to the Eastward. On the 28 we again made the 44° Rocks and found them to be the same Mr. Avery's boat had been at before, but in consequence of the heavy swell they could not now land, and the Weather appearing more favourable. I now stood towards the Cornwallis Islands,* but the Weather again became thick with a strong N.W. Wind and obliged me to haul out again to the northward which continued all the 30th.

* So called because sighted from H.M.S. “Cornwallis” on 16th May, 1807.

November 30th.

P.M. At 8 p.m. This day the 44° Rocks S.E.B.E. N.E. point of Chatham Island S.W. much rain, with heavy squalls from all points of the compass. On the 1st December the Wind being S.W. with clear Weather stood again to the Southward. A.M. of the 2nd sent the Boats in shore to Sound & look for Anchorage; being close down upon the largest of the Islands, sounded in from 30 to 10 fathoms. At 3 p.m. brought up in a Bight on the Eastern Side of the largest of the Cornwallis Islands.

December 2nd.

The Wind N.W. and having good shelter from N. to S.B.E. sandy bottom, consequently bad holding ground, & open to all the Easterly Winds, having only a bad shelter from the Small Island which bore S.E. about 4 Miles with Reefs above Water & below in every direction as far as the eye could reach, but as from the Sample we had got from the 44° Rocks there was every appearance of finding Seal I determined to search page 560 well there for them. I immediately sent all the boats away on the small Island, and observed Some Pigs and shot one Sow which in all probability had been brought here from Chatham Island by the Natives, and to my great surprise saw a large Black Cat, I likewise shot some very large white & blue pigeon. Mr. Fell found some Canoes haul'd up on the large Island but we found not a single Seal upon any of the Rocks near these Islands—Altho' no place could be better adapted for their Gathering. On the 3rd and 4th it blew a strong gale from W.N.W. to W.S.W. these Islands abound in Fern root & Flax which grows spontaneously in almost every part of them, But I found great difficulty in procuring a small quantity for the Pigs on account of the heavy Surf which continually breaks on the Beach & Rocks. I found in one of these Excursions the wreck of & small Vessel of about 100 tons built of a Kind Cedar & iron-fastened, and as a vessel from Sidney some years ago was lost here called the Glory* it may very probably be the same. On the 6th being disappointed here—I weighed and made sail to the Northward not thinking it prudent to risk finding a passage to the Southward and had some difficulty in working out, the Weather being thick and the Wind from the Northward we were obliged to keep Chatham Island on board and go chiefly by the Lead.

* A sealer lost on Pitts Island on 15th January, 1827.

December 12th.

I again sent the Boats to the Sister Rocks. At 4 p.m. they returned 16 Skins which they procured with great difficulty. Made sail to the Southward, in passing along the Land I observed other dangerous reefs which are not laid down in any of the Charts.

December 13th.

Strong Westerly Gales.

December 15th.

Strong Northerly Winds, thick Weather Lat. by A/-46° 42′ S. Longit. 177° ..43 W. Baromr. 29..20. Cutter in company standing for the Bounty Islands.

December, 16th.

On the 16th & 17th we had strong gales from the W.N.W. & W. P.M. lost sight of the Cutter the Weather very thick; page 561 on the 19th Weather still continuing thick with a brisk Gale from the Eastward and heavy swell—& many Penguins & much Kelp about us I imagined myself close on the Islands: but as I had not had an observation for 3 days, could not be certain of my position. At noon I had run into Lat. & Long, of Bounty Islands, but as no land was in sight, concluded they were not correctly laid down. P.M. The wind strong from the Eastward with a heavy Swell, I haul'd out to the S.E. and at 8 p.m. the Water appearing discoloured I sounded & found bottom about 70 fathoms, sand & shells wore to the Northward the Swell running very high, and the Wind becoming light. So that we made considerable drift, we passed a fatiguing and unpleasant night Sounding in from 100 to 65 fathoms, and not being able to see more than a Cable's length in any direction. On the 20th strong Easterly Gales with much rain & thick Weather. Soundings fm 60 to 100 fathoms carrying a press of Sail to the Eastward as the Bank shoals to the S.W. The Penguins all this time were very thick, and considerable quantities of Kelp about, and as this Bank is of considerable Extent and Soundings regular I was in hopes to find some large Island.

December 21st.

The Wind from the Westward with clearer weather but we had no bottom and nothing in Sight. At 7 A.M. of the

December 22nd.

22nd Saw the Bounty Rocks at 9.30 sent the boats on shore at 11 saw the Cutter to the Southd. at Noon the Centre of the Rocks bore W.B.S. about 1 ½ Miles. They are 8 or 9 in number. Our Lat. 47° 49′ So. Long. 178° 26′ 0″, East by Good observations which places them in 47° 50′ S. Long. 178° ..25′ East (erroneously laid down 47° 35′ S. Long. 179° ..06′ East. At 2 p.m. spoke the Cutter found she had not met with any accident. The Boats returned having seen only 5 seal on one of the Rocks which they could not approach on account of the Swell, but they found on landing on one of the Rocks a Hut the roof of which was formed of the Skins and Wings of Birds, a baking dish, a Water Cask, a Bottle half filled with oil, some pieces of fire wood an Irish (provision) Cask & other things which clearly proved that Europeans had been recently there. The tops of the Rocks were covered with Penguins, Gulls & other Birds. The Weather was now very clear and had any land been within 30 Miles we must have seen it. I now determined to proceed directly to the Southward.

page 562


Journal of Messrs. Enderby's SchoonerEliza Scott,” Captain John Balleny, while at Anchor in Chalky Inlet and after leaving that Port.
[Manuscript in the possession of the Royal Geographical Society, London.]

Sunday, December, 2nd, 1838.

The wind this morng is fresh with clear fine sky. Running or rather endeavourg to run on the parallel of yesterday. Lat. at noon this day 45° 57′. P.M. Steady and clear to the end.

December, 3rd.

Steady breeze and cloudy. Unstowed the anchors and bent cables. Lat. at noon 45° 57′. At 4 p.m. saw the land which I took for Port Pickersgill.* At 7 abreast of Cape West Blowing hard at N.W. At 8h 30m entered Chalky Bay and beat up with strong wind down and a dirty night; turned past Port Chalky in the dark and had to lay to at the head of the Bay till day light. Blowg hard with heavy squalls from the N.W. I am very glad I missed the entrance to Port Chalky The port inside Garden Island, Chalky Bay. for it is foul and one large rock just visible at high water in the middle.

* Disky Sound, New Zealand.

The port inside Garden Island, Chalky Bay.

December, 4th.

At day light morng ran down the Bay into Port Chalky The port inside Garden Island, Chalky Bay. when I saw with infinite delight the cutter all safe and sound. Rounded too and let go the anchor 7 ½ fathoms. Blowg a gale right in, gave the vessel 50 fathoms of cable. At 4 p.m. the wind suddenly shifted and blew from the opposite point and I now found that I had anchored close to a reef of rocks and the first intimation I had was the ship lightly touching as she swung. Run a kedge out, hove up the anchor and shifted her birth. Latter part light winds and heavy rain Sounded the pumps but found she had not injured herself at all.

The “Sabrina,” which had been there three weeks.

December, 5th.

At day light weighed and towed the ship up to the head of the harbour and brought up in 13 fathoms. Landed some water casks and gave the people the remainder of the day to wash clothes.

page 563

December, 6th.

Dull weather with rain, clearg hold &c. &c.. On the passage out my barometer was broken & I endeavoured to take observations by the mountain barometer, but I do not think it will be of any serv'ce at all at sea as the slightest motion of the vessel causes the quicksilver to jump up and down at such a rate that I was afraid it would break the tube. I was glad to put it away. Yesterday I hung it up again and this morng took the first observation, but even the little motion the vessel has here caused a slight rise and fall in the mercury.

December, 7th.

The weather this morng is showery with sometimes blue sky. The crew occupied in breaking out & restowg the hold.

December, 8th.

Moderate with passing showers. Filld casks with salt. Send 2nd officer* away at day light to catch a few fish to help our beef for on examination I find we have not more beef & pork than will last for 10 months that is 5 months longer; no cask running the weight it ought to do. I find the cutter in the same predicament.

* Mr. McNab.

Tho “Sabrina.”

December, 9th.

This day is fine. Gave the men 4 muskets and let them go into the woods to shoot and stretch their legs. Having no means of obtaining fresh provisions but by the hook and gun Capt Freeman and myself have generally endeavoured to provide for part of the crew, and I think a run on shore will do the men good, in point of fact the whole crew seem so disappointed in not being able to run as they expected that they are in a state little short of down right mutiny. Therefore I have allowed them to go and ramble in the woods but have always refused the boats unless with an officer.

Of the “Sabrina.”

December, 10th.

This morng Capt Freeman and myself went on shore to take lunar observations, and also to take sights for the chronometers. Mr. Freeman measured the dist. of the O & ☽ and I took the altitudes of the Sun and moon by the artificial horizon. I then measured the distance & Mr. F. took the altitudes of O & ☽ The first gave the place of observation 166° 11′ 45 east. My observed dist. &c. gave 167° 23 00. My chronometer gave the page 564 same taking the mean of seven sights at different times the greatest of which gave 167° 24 and the least 167° 22 45. Another lunar gave 167° 23′ 00. My chronometer gave me the Island of Amsterdam correctly enough but Mr. Mc Cabe's* was out considerably, on making Cape West on 3 inst. at 4 p.m. the long, by chronometer gave the ship 17 miles east of the Cape and we ran nearly due east 32 miles per log, which, if my chronometer was correct, would give Cape West in about 167° 13 (42. miles to a degree of long.). Port Chalky bears about true N.W. from Cape West dist. abt. 10 miles which 10 miles of dist gives in lat. 46° about 10 miles of diff. long. making Port Chalky 167° 23′ or if the Cape be rightly laid down then is my chronometer so much too far eastward. Capt. Washington of the Royal Navy requested me to give the height of a mountain on Cape West and also one on Point Civil; there is not a mountain on either. Cape West is low and runs with a gradual ascent into the mountains many miles back. I suppose 40 or 50 miles so that I cannot comply with Capt W's request. The Northern Port is by far the best of the two being completely land-locked but in the present state of the country I should think it would be seldom used as it is further up the bay and unless for the purpose of getting supplies (which is out of the question there being neither natives nor settlers) Port Chalky is high enough. I do not think either natives or settlers could live any great time in this part from the myriads of poisonous flies in the summer and the cold in the winter. We have seen some marks of visitors but whether natives or whites for the bay fishery (I should suppose the latter) I do not know. I do not think the land or any part of it in this neighbourhood deserves exactly the name of mountains but are high hills & so close together and so abrupt the rise that it makes them look higher than they would do if scattered over the face of the country and the ascent more gradual.

* Query, McNab's.

In Chalky Bay.

December, 11th.

We have the crew employed in restowg the hold &c. &c. but scarce a day passes without rain so that it impedes our progress greatly.

December, 12th.

Still stowg the hold. The hold full of flies and the whole of us much distressed by them, they fasten on us with such fury and fly into the nose mouth and ears; the itching they leave is positively enough to drive one mad.

page 565

December, 13th.

Crew busy stowg water & went with a couple of hands to catch fish but had bad luck.

December, 14th.

This morning took the boat and sailed up “Edwardson's Arm”* to the source at the top it forms two of the finest harbours in the world, the first or outer harbour being completely land locked from the Bay and the inner harbour land locked or nearly so from the outer harbour fine beaches and plenty of fresh water, but flies innumerable Shot 15 birds of size large enough to supply the two cabins for 3 days.

* Called after Captain Edwardson who explored it in the “Snapper” in 1822.

December, 15th.

This morg is rainy and windy so that we can get nothing done; it is a perfect deluge.

December, 16th.

The fore part of this day was fine. People employed watering and stwg &c. &c. Latter part rainy.

December, 17th.

Monday morg commences with cloudy rainy weather, with light and variable winds; In the afternoon saw a whale boat sailg up the harbour for which I was extremely sorry as it will afford an opportunity for the men to run, it proved to be a boat from the settlement in Preservation Bay.

Jones' whaling-station.

December. 18th.

This morning being fine cut some spars and in the afternoon Mr. Freeman and myself went round to Preservation Bay and took a cask for oil, both vessels being out of that article. We could not find the settlement but found an old one deserted. This eveng I desired Mr. Freeman to keep my boat alongside of the cutter as I considered her safer there, the crew of the cutter being apparently perfectly contented and a good watch being kept at about midnight all was right and safe. I did not sleep before that hour.

The “Sabrina.”

December, 19th.

This morg at daylight I awoke and on going on deck missed the whale boat from the cutter, and I then found that 5 men page 566 belonging to the Eliza Scott had gone to the cutter, and evidently with the connivance of the watch on board the cutter, stolen the boat and made off. Thinking they might make for the Settlement in Preservation Bay Capt Freeman and self again started to find it; we were successful as far as getting a supply of oil &c from the party but could hear nothing of the crew. This is a serious loss but as the rest of the crew seem perfectly content and willing to try their luck I still do not despair, indeed the remaining crew seem glad these people have gone and they all say they will now be comfortable. Two of these men were certainly two of the greatest blackguards I ever had on board a ship and I had a great deal of trouble with them on the passage out; more mutinous rascals could not be, & they have, I think, seduced two of the others from their duty. As for the 3rd. he had been much in Sydney and perhaps was the ringleader of the whole. I deplore now more than ever my long passage out as I might perchance have saved them altho' I am aware it was their intention to run when they shipped, but I could not carry sail on the schooner and on unstowing the vessel here I found a sufficient reason. The ground tier of casks which should have been filled with water were perfectly empty and it becomes no longer a matter of wonder the ship would not bear her canvass, but a matter of wonder she got here at all; On enquiry into the cause of the casks being empty the mate says he thinks they were not filled in London and lays all blame on Capt Shuttleworth with what truth I know not as all this was done before I gained the schooner,* when the mate informed me that the ground tier consisted of oily casks filled with water out of the canal.

* The “Eliza Scott.”

December, 20th.

This morg is tolerably fine. People employed middle stitching the mainsail, wooding &c. &c. carpenter & cooper cutting spars for topsail yard and main topmast, & in getting ready for sea.

December, 21st.

The whole of this day the weather has been squally with showers. People employed in repairing sails.

December, 22nd.

The weather this morng is showery employed in mending sails & wooding and watering.

page 567

December, 23rd.

This morng is fine Capt Freeman went round with boat to Preservation Bay for some articles we want. At noon a strong breeze, at 7 Mr. Freeman returned, the night is setting in for heavy rain.

December, 24th.

The morg blowg strong ship drove, let go 2nd anchor. At noon more moderate, hove up the anchors and warped further off shore.

December, 25th.

This is Christmas Day & blowg hard. I dined this day with Mr. Freeman on board the cutter & gave his mates leave to dine on board the schooner. I told Mr. Moore, my chief mate, that I laid no embargo on his grog drinking on this day only to remember and keep within the bounds of moderation. At 10 I returned on board and the only one sober was my 2nd mate Mr. McNab. About 2 o'clock it blew so hard that both vessels drove & had to let go the 2nd anchor. The mate still that stupid that I could not get him out of his bed.

December, 26th.

Still blowg a gale of wind with heavy rain. Getting the sails bent for sea. The mate appears not to have gotten the better of his intemperance and has been exceedg impertinent so much so that I am inclined to turn him forward.

This is not the first time or act of intemperance and impudence. It is now become almost time to put an end to it. From his conduct I am more than ever convinced he was accessory to the departure of the men and boat & is, I think, endeavourg to sow the seeds of dissention amongst the people.

The mountain barometer is of no use when there is any motion. The mercury flies up and down the tube according to the motion of the ship. It is perfectly fast and steady against the bulkhead but the slightest motion of the vessel precludes taking observations with it at such times. Consequently at sea where the motion is constant the quicksilver also is in constant motion. I am sorry for this for I wished to gratify Capt Washington, if in my power.

December, 27th.

This morning the gale continues unabated with heavy rain. All ready for sea.

page 568

December, 28th.

Still blowg so hard that one cannot get under weigh. Crew employed in various ways.

December, 29th.

Still blowing hard. Everything ready for weighing as soon as it lulls a little. We must ride close to the shore on account of the water & consequently are too near to get the anchor with the wind on the land. Tide flows 11 o'clock full & change of ☽ & rises about 6 ft.

December, 30th.

At daylight warped the Sabrina into a fair way. At 10 a.m. got under weigh and turned out of Port Chalky. At 4 p.m. came to an anchor in Preservation Bay. Got more, wood, water, & boat from Settlement.*

* Jones' whaling-station.

December, 31st.

Blowg hard squalls so as to render it imprudent to proceed.

January, 1st. 1839.

No wind, ship all ready for sea.

January, 2nd.

At daylight blowg hard & fair wind with heavy rain weighed from preservation Bay at 11 a.m. Solanders Island abeam of us at 9 p.m. came to an anchor in Pattersons River, blowg hard from the S.W. I anchored here in order to get the clothes of the people I shipped in Preservation.

Stewart Island.

January, 3rd.

It has blown a perfect hurricane ever since we anchored and still continues.

January, 4th.

This morg blowg and raing very hard. Signals of distress flying on board the cutter; went on board & found 3 men had deserted. Went on shore and took steps for their recovery. At 8 p.m. got them on board and all ready for sea.

Stewart Island.

January, 5th.

Blowg a perfect drift of wind all day.

page 569

January, 6th.

At daylight attempted to weigh but it blew so hard we had 1839 January. to abandon the attempt.

January, 7th.

Light wind and shifted to N.E. Got under weigh and turned out from the Islands. At noon running to the S.E. Blowing hard. At 4 p.m. doubled reefed. Lat.

January, 8th.

Rainy & moderate. Wind flew round to S.W. At noon lat. observed 49° 28′ S. long. 169° 22′ E.

January, 9th.

This morning commences with strong winds and clear. At 8 double reefed. At noon lat. observed 51° 16′ South. P.M. squally with heavy cross sea. At 4 p.m. long. in 168° 56 30.

January, 10th.

Light winds and clear. Saw the Island of Campbell's at 8 a.m., long. 168 55 45, noon Lat. 52° 26′ South. At 2 p.m. Mr. Freeman pulled to the land to try for a few skins, found none, but found 4 men* who had been left 4 years ago in a most wretched plight. At 7 Mr. Freeman returned. Stood off. At midnight strong winds with rain and thick.

* These were 3 men and 1 woman. See p. 577.

January, 11th.

Still dirty weather. At 8 a.m. cleared off, saw the land, bearing S. by W. At noon lat. observed 52° 30′. At 7 p.m. came to an anchor in Preservation Harbour.

January, 12th.

At daylight sent a boat from each vessel to see what they could pick up. Capt. Freeman & myself went on shore and spoke to the people. It appears they have, in 4 years only obtained about 170 skins. I have agreed to take them off the Island on condition that the skins are the property of the owners of the vessels, to be delivered up to them in London on receiving ten shillings a piece for good prime skins and others in proportion. I have further agreed to give the 180 lay to these men for whatever may hereafter be obtained but no wages. In doing this I have been guided by a wish to relieve the wretched and to attend to the interest of my employers at the same time, and I trust the transaction may be viewed in this light. At page 570 7 p.m. boat returned, got nothing. Filled up water and all ready for sea.

January, 13th.

Blowing hard from the Eastward:—

Copy of Agreement for the skins obtained on Campbells Island.

It is hereby agreed between on the one part and John Balleny of the schooner Eliza Scott on behalf of his owners on the other part that on condition of removg from Campbells Island and paying to them in London ten shillings for every prime skin delivered and others in proportion they abandon all claim to the skins now on board in favour of Messrs. Enderby and others owners of the schooner Eliza Scott & tender Sabrina. It is further agreed that for the cargo yet to be obtained that the sd. shall have the one hundred and eightyith share without any monthly wages and it is further agreed that Messrs Enderby shall deduct from the price of skins the amt of all slops &c. advanced by Capt. Balleny to

Preservation Harbour
Campbell Island Jany 14th 1839.

January, 14th.

S.E. (wind) Blowing a perfect gale so that we are better here than outside.

January, 15th.

Variable (wind) Blowing hard, the cutter got under weigh but could make nothing of it and brought up again.

January, 16th.

Variable. Blowed hard with heavy rain and thick weather P.M. more moderate, saw a boat, the boat belonged to the Emma of Sidney Capt. Biscoe.* This is rather a curious rencontre. Went on board the Emma & I find Capt Bscoe is in search of land as well as ourselves.

* The commander of the former Enderby Expedition, 1831, and whose journal of that Expedition is to be found on pp. 555 to 561 hereof.

January, 17th.

This morg weighed and made sail from Preservation Harbour. The Emma could not get under weigh it blew so hard and riding with 2 anchors at noon. Lat. 52° 46′ S. Dark and cloudy to the end. Either Cape West is laid down wrong or Campbells Island. My chronometer by the old rate from Greenh. gives the long. of Campbells Island very nearly and is rather east of the assigned long. whereas the rate given the chronometer by me in Port Chalky taking it for granted that Cape West is right, gives the centre of Campbells Island 168° 58 which is 34′ West of the given longitude.

page 571


Extract from the Log of the SchoonerEliza Scott,” Captain John Balleny, on her way from London Towards New Zealand (supposed to have been kept by the Chief Mate).
(Manuscript in possession of the Royal Geographical Society, London.)
[The pages of the corresponding entries in Balleny's Journal are given in the margin at the top of the page.]

Monday, December 3rd, 1838.

Steady breezes and cloudy: Longe by Chror. 164° .49′ .0″ E Got the Anchors unstowed and bent the Cables: Latit Obs 45° 57 South, at 4 P.M. Saw the land: at 7 abreast of Cape West: at 8 Rounded Chalky Island point and beat up to the Cascade and hove too for Daylight.

December, 4th.

At Daylight wore Ship, at 8 Came to an anchor in port Chalky in 15 fathoms, when we found the Cutter who had been in 3 Weeks.

December 5th.

Strong Gales with rain, struck foretop mast and sent down topsail and foreyards, Got under weigh and towed up to the head of the port.

December 6th.

Moderate (wind S.E.). Dryed sails and towed some Empty water Casks on Shore, got the Derrick up &c. This morning Joe and Davy, being Drunk got fighting together which stoped the work going on as it should do. Davy did no duty the whole day. Tom likewise did no duty. found out the Ships Comp, had broken open the Captains porter Cask and stole 15 bottles, the whole of the Crew in a complete state of Mutiny and insubordination

December 7th.

Squalls with flying showers Enpld [? Employed] Unstowing the hold towing water Casks on Shore filling Salt in the Ground tier casks & carpenter empd Caulking the Schooner round the bows the Cooper very Mutinous Daming the Capt. and Mates Eyes and very abusefull

page 572

December 8th.

Squalls with flying showers Unbent the Jib, Carpenter & People Employed as Yesterday.

Sunday, December 9th.

Light winds and fair weather. Cleansed the Schooner and allowed people to go on Shore

December 10th.

Fair Weather throughout. Employed drying Sails & Restowing the hold

December 11th.

Employed filling water and restowing the hold. Carpenter & Cooper about their own work the Crew refused their Beef as being too little altho' they had exactly the same as the Cutters crew. The Cooper in a most Mutinous Manner declared he had not sufficient to eat and with respect to Grog he said he considered it as much his as mine and that everyone in the ship had a right to an equal share.

December 12th.

This Morng Smith the Yarmouth fisherman as he calls himself brought up the Bread Barge so heaped up as to run the risk of scattering the Contents and on my simply requesting him to be careful he was exceedingly Insolent and when he went forward the Carpenter exclaimed in loud voice that he was saucy and Independant and did not care a damn. It appears to me that the whole Crew are in a state of Mutiny or at least are endea vouring to make a Disturbance so as to Compell me to go to the Northward instead of Southward when I am perfectly convinced they all would leave. I have therefore complied with their Demand at present rather than ruin the Voyage.

December 13th.

Light winds and fair weather. Employed filling salt, Carpenter cutting spars, Cooper variously.

December 14th.

Strong breezes. Employed as yesterday Carpenter making a tiller. Cooper making tubs &c

December 15th.

With constant heavy rain Employed watering &c

page 573

December 16th.

Employed cleaning ship & Constant heavy rain & squally.

December 17th.

The forepart dry and fair in the afternoon heavy rain at 4 Saw a Boat coming round Garden Island point fired a Gun & Shewed our Colours. The boat came on board which proved to be a Skinning partys boat on the lookout for Skins—and seeing the Vessells—came in to the harbour at dusk they went away again.

December 18th.

Fair weather throughout Employed wood & watering Stowing the hold. Got the foreyard & topmast up & Dryed Sails, Carpenter making topsail Yard.

The two Captains went round to preservation Bay for oil, but could not find the store house out. left the boat that side and walked across to the Vessells it being late left the boat alongside the Cutter all night in readyness to start Early

December 19th.

Strong breeze and clear weather. Employed painting ship at 4 O'Clock Missed the Jolly boat and on looking round saw her along the Cutter and the Whale boat taken away with two Muskets and five men—David Hellon Henry Long Tom Rosarie Doderick McPeal Dennis Driscoll, Sent Mr. Paterson across the land to Secure the other boat, and in an hours time both Captains and a boats crew followed—in the Evening they came back with boat they had left having seen nothing of the Runaway—

December 20th.

Strong breezes unbent the Msail and began middle stitching it. Sent the Stay foresail (2d one) on board the Cutter to be converted into a Jib the old one not being worth repairing. Sent the foretop mast down on deck & Undone all the Gear and sowed the fore Yard Cutter fashion—Carpenter & Cooper Cutting spars. this day found out that the Bale of Slopes had been cut open during the night and a Considerable quantity stolen. by the runaways besides Pork bread Tea and Cheeses out of the Store room.

December 21st.

Squally with flying showers. Employed Repairing sails &c

December 22nd.

Employed about the rigging & Sails wooding &c Showery

page 574

December 23rd.

Flying Showers with Cloudy Wr the boat gone over to preservation Bay for a few articles we stand in need of—at noon it blowing hard we let go the Second anchor.

December 24th.

Do Weather. at daylight hove up the anchors and warped further out and brought up the best Bower with 45-Fathom chain

December 25th.

Strong winds & Cloudy weather. This being Christmas day, no duty was done on board—all hands enjoyed themselves.

December 26th.

Strong Gales, at daylight let go the Second Anchor—Em ployed variously about the Rigging &c.

* N.B. at 3 the Captn struck the Mate before all hands on the Quarter deck for nothing.

[In a different handwriting: * N.B.—The above remark is “lie.” Capt. Balleny took the Mate by the collar for being exceedingly Drunk on Christmas day and exceedingly insolent the day following & told him, he would bundle him forward but did not strike him as the Mate states.]

December 27th.

Strong breezes. bent Mainsail and Jib, fitted Gear of the fore yd Jackstay &c. and filled a cask of water

December 28th.

Strong Gales. Employed lashing the Spars Cutting wood and preparing for Sea. this Morning a boat came Round from preservation bay.

December 29th.

Do Wr Preparing for Sea. Getting wood off & Got up the new warp ready to heave out if the wind should lull—Shipped two hands from the boat to go the voyage.

December 30th.

at Daylight hove short up to the 2d Anchor and warped the Cutter to a fair way birth, at 10 A.M. Got under weigh and worked out of the harbour at 4 P.M. Came to anchor in pre- page 575 servation bay—this day William Smith refused to do his duty, Strong breezes with hail &c.

December 31st.

Squally weather with flying showers. Employed cutting firewood Wm Smith went to his work this day

January 1st, 1839.

Fair weather throughout, filled a cask of water, got a boat load of wood Got the Whale boat from the Settlement and gave them the Jolly boat, hoisted the boats in and prepared for Sea.

January 2nd.

Strong breezes with Rain the forepart of the day, at 6 A.M. weighed and made sail from preservation bay at 11 abreast of Solanders Island at 3.30 P.M. Abreast of passage Island at 9 Came to an anchor in Patterson River in 20 fathom water and 60 fathom chain—

January 3rd.

Strong Gales with flying showers. Employed variously

January 4th.

Strong breezes with flying showers, took in two boat loads of wood and put in down aft to trim ship. in the Morning got a boat out and went on board the Cutter in answer to the Signal found that three men had deserted during the night. in the Morning they were brought back and sent on board the Cutter Shipped three hands and hoisted the boat in and secured her in readyness to go Sea.

January 5th.

Strong Gales with flying showers. Got the boat out to go for the peoples cloathes. Got the close-reefed points Sewed in the Sails and at 7, hoisted the boat in.

January 6th.

Strong gales & Endeaved to get under weigh but finding it to blow to hard desisted, in the Eg Capt Freeman on board, it still blowing hard with showers of hail & rain at intervals.

January 7th.

at 6 A.M. Weighed and made all possibl sail in Company with the Cutter an (? at) noon Fresh breeze took in 1s Reef sails, page 576 Southern port bearing W.S.W, Distant about 9 Leagues. at 8 P.M. Squally—took in 2 Reefsails at midnight Do Weather. Cutter on the Lee bow

January 8th.

Squalls with flying showers; at 6 A.M. set the square sail; at 8 spoke the Cutter; longitude by chror 169° 8′ E. took in Square sail and Set the Fore & aft sails; at noon out all reefs &c

Latt Obs, 49° 28′ South.

Light airs & clear weather with a heavy swell from the N.W.

at 4 P.M. Longe in 169° .22′ .0″ E.

at Midnight Do Wr.

January 9th.

2 A.M. Strong breezes and clear Weather. took in one reefsails; at 8 in 2nd Reef—do—do.

Longe by Chronomr 168° .58′ .0″ E

at noon more moderate, out one reef Mnsail foresail & f Sy sail.

Lattitude obsd, 51° 16′ South

Squally with a heavy cross Sea running.

at Longe in 168° .56′ .30″ E at Midnight Moderate, out all Reefs.

January 10th.

Light winds and clear Wr

at 3 A M Saw the land; at 6 Calm; at 8 Long. by chror 168° .55′ .45″ E

at 9 Captn Freeman came on board. Light airs & clear Wr

Lattd by Obsn 52° 26′ South

at 1 P.M. Capn Freeman went on Shore and saw the men that was left on shore here 4 years Since by the New Zealander;* at 7 Capt Freeman returned.

Fair weather. Stood off to the N.W.

at Midnight strongwinds with rain and thick Wr

Wore ship and Stood to the Eastward.

* On 11th March, 1835, the “New Zealander” reached Sydney from “a speculative trip of five months amongst the Eastern Islands.” Campbell Island was evidently one of the places she called at, and she must have left the 3 men and 1 woman there on that voyage.

January 11th.

took in two reefs of the Sails

at 8 A.M. it clearing off Saw the land bearing S. by W about 10 Leagues hauled up for the Island and spoke the Cutter at noon Steady breezes and clear out all reefs &c

page 577

Lattd Obs—52° 30′ South

at 7 P.M. Came to an anchor in perseverance harbour in 9 fathom, Steady breezes and Clear Weather.

January 12th.

at Daylight Got the boats out and sent one from each Vessell to see what they could Get, Got the peoples Skins on board and filled our water up & 32 Green Skins 133 Dryed Skins—in the Evening the Boats returned with one hair Skin

January 13th.

Strong Gales and clear Wr. finished filling our water up and prepared for Sea

at noon came on to rain with thick foggy weather.

January 14th.

Strong Gales with Constant rain & thick weater took three men and one woman of the Island. Sent two on board of the Cutter, hoisted the boat and prepared for Sea

January 15th.

Strong gales with thick fog & heavy rain hove short and Double reefed the Sails the Cutter weighed first and bore up if [? it] blowing so very hard and such a tremendous Sea running. Stowed the Sails and held all in readyness to weigh should the wind lull or the fog clear off. Got the 2d Anchor clear & Secured the Boats and cleared the decks up.

January 16th.

Heavy gales with thick fog. Close reefed the Sails and hove short, but not being able to purchase Anchor, gave her more chain and furled Sails this day the Cooper refused his duty, in the Evening he returned to his work

January 17th.

at 6 weighed and made Sail, weather moderate & hazy

at 8.30 Spoke the Brig Emma* Lying in the Entrance of the port—at noon the centre of the Island W N W about 5 Leagues. Latt Obsd. 52° .46′ .17″ South the wind worked round to the Southd at 8 P.M. Centre of Cambells Island W N W 10 Leagues

page 578

* Commanded by Captain Biscoe of the former Enderby Expedition. 19—Vol. ii.