Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Historical Records of New Zealand



I arrived at the Cape of Good Hope on the 24th May, 1788, from whence I fully acquainted their Lordships of my proceedings, and being completely victualled and refitted I sailed on the 1st July.

On the 20th August I arrived at Van Diemen’s Land, and completed wooding and watering in Adventure Bay by the 4th Septr., when I sailed for Otaheite.

On the 19th September, having pass’d the south part of New Zealand, I discovered a very dangerous cluster of rocky islots (never known before). They extend 31/2 miles east and west, and

The following is the account of the discovery of these islands given by Bligh in his “Voyage of the Bounty“ (1792), pp. 55 and 56 [The Editor]:—

“On the 14th, at noon, we were in 49° 24′ S. latitude, and in 168° 3′ E. longitude, which is on the same meridian with the south end of New Zealand. We altered our course, steering to the northward of east, and frequently saw rock-weed, which I supposed to have drifted from New Zealand. The sea now became rougher, from our being exposed to a long swell, which came from the N.E. “On the 19th, at daylight, we discovered a cluster of small rocky islands, bearing east by north four leagues distant from us. We had seen no birds, or anything to indicate the nearness of land, except patches of rock-weed, for which the vicinity of New Zealand sufficiently accounted. The wind being at N.E. prevented our near approach to these isles; so that we were not less than three leagues distant in passing to the southward of them. The weather was too thick to see distinctly; their extent was only 31/2 miles from east to west, and about half a league from north to south; their number, including the smaller ones, was thirteen. I could not observe any verdure on any of them: there were white spots like patches of snow; but, as Captain Cook, in describing the land of New Zealand, near Cape South, says, in many places there aie patches like white marble, it is probable that what we saw might be of the same kind as what he had observed. The westernmost of these islands is the largest; they are of sufficient height to be seen at the distance of seven leagues from a ship’s deck. When the easternmost bore north I tried for soundings, being then 10 miles distant from the nearest of them, and found bottom at 75 fathoms, a fine white sand: and again at noon, having run six leagues more to the E.S.E., we had soundings at 104 fathoms, a fine brimstone-coloured sand. The latitude of these islands is 47° 44′ S.; their longitude 179° 7′ E., which is about 145 leagues to the east of the Traps, near the south end of New Zealand. Variation of the compass here, 17° E. While in sight of the islands, we saw some penguins, and a white kind of gull with a forked tail. Captain Cook’s track, in 1773 was near this spot, but he did not see the islands: he saw seals and penguins hereabouts, but considered New Zealand to be the nearest land. I have named them after the ship, the Bounty Isles.“

page 77 1 1/2 north and So., and lie from the Traps (off the south end of New Zealand) S. 89° E., distance 146 leagues. Their latd. is 47° 44′ So., and longitude 179° 09′ Et.

On the 26th October I anchored in Matavai Bay, Otaheite, but the season of the year render’d my situation not safe, and I therefore sailed on the 25th December into Toahroah Harbour, 3 miles from Matavai. I remained here untill the fourth of April, 1789, when I sailed with 1,015 beautyfull breadfruit plants, and many fruit kind, in all 774 pots, 39 tubs, and 24 boxes.

I found this harbour to be in the latitude of 17° 31′1/2′ So., and longitude 210 31′ 37“ east, variation of compass 5° 31′ E.

I left these happy islanders in much distress, for the utmost affection, regard, and good fellowship was among us during my stay. The king and all the royal family were always with me, and their good sense and observations, joined with the most engaging dispositions in the world, will ever make them beloved by all who become acquainted with them as friends.

On the 12th April I discovered an island called Whytootackee, whose chief was named Comackeiah, as I was informed by people who came off to us in a cannoe. Their language seemed to prove them nearly the same people as at Otaheite. The island is about page 78 10 miles round, in latitude 18° 52′ So. It has eight small keys* lying joined by a reef to the S.S.E. of it and one to the W.S.W. The southermost key lies in latitude 18° 58′ So., and longitude obsd. 200° 19′ Et., varian. compss. 8° 14′ E. On the 18th April I saw Savage Island in 19° 02′ So., 190° 18′ east.

On the 21st April I made the Friendly Islands, and on the 23rd following I anchored in Annamoka Road. On the 26th April, having completed my water and got on board some wood, I sailed. Annamoka lies in 20° 16′ So., 185° 30′ east.

On the 28th April, in the morning, the north-westernmost of the Friendly Islands, called Tofoa, bore N.E. 10 leagues. and I had directed my course to the W.N.W., with a ship in most perfect order, and all my plants in a most flourishing condition, all my men and officers in good health, and in short every thing to flatter and insure my most sanguine expectations. But I am now to relate one of the most atrocious and consummate acts of piracy ever committed.

At dawn of day, Fletcher Christian (officer of the watch), Chas. Churchill (ship’s corporal), Thos. Burkett (seaman), John Mills (gunner’s mate), came into my cabbin, and, while I was asleep, seized me in my bed, and tied my hands behind my back with a strong cord, and, with cutlasses and bayonets fixed at my breast, threatned instant death if I spoke or made the least noise. I, nevertheless, called out so loud for help that every one heard me and were flying to my assistance, but all my officers, except those who were concerned, found themselves secured by armed centinels.

I was now haul’d upon deck in my shirt, withoat a rag else, and my hands tyed behind my back held by Fletcher Christian, and Chas. Churchill w’h a bayonet at my breast, and two men, Alexr. Smith and Thos. Burkitt behind me, with loaded musquets cocked and bayonets fixed. Under the guard I was put abaft the mizenmast.

The different hatchways were all guarded by armed men in the same manner, and those who were to be sent out of the ship and some of the mutineers who could be spared hoisted the boat out. Among these were the boatswain and carpenter, who, with some others, got sails, twine, rope, grapnel, and a small cask of water into the boat, about w’ch there were many altercations among the mutinous crew.

When I exerted myself in speaking loud to try if I could rally any with a sense of duty in them, I was saluted with, “Damn his eyes, the ——; blow his brains out,“ Christian threatening me with instant death if I did not hold my tongue.

* Rocks forming small islands. From Cayos (Sp.).

page 79

Being confined, and kept apart from every one, Mr. Samuel,* with great resolution, exerted himself and secured to me a quadrant and comp’ss, some cloaths, my journals, and material ship papers; but all my valuable instruments, and a timepiece of Mr. Kendal’s make of great value, with a valuable collection of books, maps, and drawings, and money, with all my remarks and observations for 15 years past, were kept from me. He also secured 150 Ibs. of bread, which proved of more value than every thing besides.

The officers and men being now drove into the boat one by one, I was told by Christian: “Come, Capt. Bligh, your officers and men are now in the boat, and you must go with them; if you attempt to make the least resistance you will instantly be put to death.“ I was then taken hold of, under a guard of armed ruffians, and forced over the gangway into the boat, which waited only for me, and, untying my hands, we were veered astern by a rope. A few pounds of pork were now thrown to us. We were 19 in number, and some began to sollicit a few of their little valuables that were left behind. I asked for firearms, and even at last sollicited two, but we received insolence and were told we should have none. Four cutlasses were, however, thrown into the boat, and we were cast adrift in a most miserable situation.

The size of the boat was 23 feet from stem to stern, and rowed six oars. We were so deep and lumbered that it was believed we could never reach the shore, and some of them made their jokes of it. We, however, by seven o’clock in the evening got safe under Tofoa, but the shore being steep and rocky could find no anchorage or landing. I therefore kept the boat under the land all night, paddling with two oars to preserve our station.

April 29th.—This day was spent in searching for a landing-place, and at the N.W. part of the island, in lat’d. 19° 41′ S., I found a small cove, where with some difficulty I got a few of my people on shore to look for supplies. The weather proved stormy, which prevented me from going to sea, otherwise I should have proceeded to some of the principal islands in quest of the chiefs. This night we all slept in the boat at a grapnell in the cove, and shared a few cocoanutts for subsistence, as I determined not to touch any thing that we had brought from the ship.

30th.—The weather continued so stormy that I could not proceed to sea. I therefore went off with a party to see what could be got, but in the end we all returned miserably fatigued, without discovering anything but a little water in holes, the whole of which was not sufficient for one day’s expence. As

* Note in MS.—Clerk.

page 80 every one was now more or less jaded and wanted sleep, I took about one-half on shore for the night, and in a cave at the upper part of the cove they got tolerable good sleep, and those in the boat having more room became vastly benefitted by it.

May 1st.—The weather continued so windy that I could not proceed to sea. Sent a party away at dawn of day to take another route in search of supplies. They found out the residence of the natives, who brought us a few bread-fruit, cocoanutts, and a few shells of water, which I bought for buttons of our jackets. At sundown they left us with a promise to bring larger supplies in the morning.

Spent the night as before.

2nd.—The weather continued windy. In the morning the natives came to us with bread-fruit, &c., as yesterday, and also two chiefs, Eegyeefou and Maccaaccabou. Soon after two cannoes came in from a distant part of the island, and the natives were hourly encreasing. The chiefs became acquainted with our situation—that the ship had sunk and we only were saved, and that I intended to go to Paulehow, their king. This seemed to give them pleasure, and Eegyeefou agreed as soon as it moderated to go with me. The readyness with which this man appeared to consent to go with me to Amsterdam gave me reason to think we should remain on good terms with these people, but unhappily I had soon cause to know the contrary. The natives began to be very troublesome, and made signs of hostilities towards us. I, however, thought they would go off at sundown, as they had done before, and that then I could leave the place without risk; but the reverse was the case. Three cannoes were now come in, and places fixed on for their residence during the night. I therefore determined to do our best while it was light, and directed some of the provisions I had bought to be put into the boat. The chiefs now desired me to remain on shore for the night, notwithstanding they perceived that I saw all their people arming with clubs and stones. The things being put into the boat, we were all on the go, when an inferior chief* took me by the hand, pressing me to stay. I kept hold of this man, and w’th my people now proceeded down the beach amidst a silent degree of horror on both sides. Nageetee left me, and all except one man got into the boat, who, while I was getting in, observing the stemfast not cast off, ran up the beach to effect it, notwithstanding I heard the master and others calling to him to return, while they were hauling me out of the water. The attack now began, with a shower of stones that flew like shot. The unfortunate poor man on shore was killed instantly, and we were all more or less bruized and

* Note in MS.—Nageetee.

Quartermaster Norton.

page 81 wounded. As I hauled out to our grapnel, I hoped they could no longer annoy us; but here I was mistaken, for they launched their cannoes and stoned us untill I got a league from the land. We could not close with them, because it was not in the power of men to do it with so heavy a boat; they therefore took their distance to throw their shot, which they did with such execution that but a short time longer would have rendered us incapable of rowing, when they would first have stoned us to death and then taken the boat. I therefore, as the only thing left to save our lives, exhorted every one to persevere in rowing; and throwing overboard some cloaths which beguiled them and they lost time in taking up, together with the night coming on, we very miraculously escaped.

Taking this as a real sample of their natural dispositions, there were little hopes to expect much where I was going, for I considered their good behaviour hitherto owing to a dread of our firearms, which now knowing us to have none would not be the case; and that supposing our lives were safe, our boat, compass, and quadrant would all be taken from me, and, thereby, I should not be able to return to give an account of the transaction. I was sollicited by all hands to take them towards home, and when I told them no hopes of relief for us remained, but what I might find at New Holland, until I came to Timor, a distance of 1,200 leag’s, where, was a Dutch Governor, but that I could not recollect at what part of the island he resided, they all agreed to live on one ounce of bread per day and a jill of water. I therefore, after examining our stock of provisions, which I found to consist of 150 Ibs. bread, 28 galls. of water, 20 Ibs. of pork, 3 bottles of wine, and 5 quarts of rum, and recommending for ever to their memory the promise they had made, bore away for New Holland, and from thence to Timor, a distance of 1,200 leag’s, across a sea where the navigation is dangerous and but little known; and in a small boat deep loaded, and with 18 souls, without a single map, and nothing but my own recollection and general knowledge of the situation of places, assisted by an old book of latitude and longitude to guide me.

The secresy of this mutiny was beyond all conception, and surprising it is that out of thirteen of the party who came with me, and lived always forward near the people and among them, no one could discover some symptoms of their bad intentions. With such deep-plann’d acts of villany, and my mind free of any suspicions, it is not wonderfull that I have been got the better of. I slept always with my cabbin door open for the officer of the watch to have access to me on all occasions, for the possibility of such a catastrophe was ever the farthest from my thoughts.

page 82

To assign the cause of such a resolution we can only imagine from the huzzas of the mutineers that they have promised themselves greater pleasure and advantages at Otaheite than they were likely to meet with in their native country. To this land of guile they are certainly returned—a land where they need not labour, and where the allurements of dissipation are more than equal to anything that can be conceived. For particulars I must beg leave to refer their Lordships to my journal.

Christian was the officer of the deck, and the whole watch being concerned, except the two midshipmen, who had no suspicions of what their officer was about, it is not surprising that the business was speedily done, all the able men being concerned, as also the greatest number, as may be seen by the description list.*

The people who accompanied me were:—
Jno. Fryer, master. Peter Linkletter, qr.-mr.
Wm. Cole, boatsn. Jno. Norton, do. (killed at Tofoa).
Wm. Peckover, gunner. Geo. Simpson, do’s mate.
Wm. Purcell, carpenter. Law’ce Libogue, sailmaker.
Thos. Dr. Ledward, acting surgeon. Robt. Tinkler, Ab.
Wm. Elphinstone, master’s mate. Jno. Smith, Ab.
Thos. Hayward, midshipman. Thos. Hall, Ab.
Jno. Hallett, midshipman. Robert Lamb, Ab.
Jno. Samuel, clerk. Davd. Nelson, botanist (since dead).
No., 18.
The people who remained in the ship were:—
Fletcher Christian, master’s mate Jno. Sumner, Ab.
Geo. Stewart, acting do. Jno. Williams, Ab.
Peter Heywood, midship’n. Matw. Thompson, Ab.
Edwd. Young, do. Thos. Ellison, Ab.
Chas. Churchill, corporal. Wm. Mickoy, Ab.
James Morrison, boat’n mate. Jno. Millward, Ab.
Jno. Mills, gunn’s do. Richd. Skinner, Ab.
Chas. Norman, carp’s mate.}were detained against their consent. Mattw. Quintal, Ab. Mich’l Byrne, Ab.
Thos. M’Intosh, do. crew.}were detained against their consent Hen’y Hilbrant, Ab. Isaac Martin, Ab.
Josh. Coleman, armourer.}were detained against their consent Alex’r Smith, Ab. Wm. Muspratt, Ab.
Thos. Burkitt, Ab. Wm. Brown, botanist’s assistant.
No., 25.
1789, May 3rd.—To return to my proceedings in the boat. I steered to the W.N.W., as I formerly had heard from the Friendly Island people that land lay in that quarter. The weather continued very stormy and the sea run so very high that we had reason to expect to founder every instant. Unhappily

* Post pp. 90–92.

Died at Batavia.

page 83 we were obliged to throw many of our necessaries over board to lighten the boat, and we underwent great fatigue in bailing, and were miserably cold and wet in the nights.

May 4th.—On this day I discovered an island W.S.W., 4 or 5 leagues from me when I was in lat’d 18° 58′ S. 182° 16′ E’t.

6th.—On to-day I discovered ten other and at noon was in the lat’d 17° 53′ So., 179° 43′ E’t.

7th.—This day I discovered other islands, and at noon was in lat’d 16° 33′ So., 178° 34′ E’t, when I was chased by two large cannoes. Storms of thunder, lightning, and rain; caught 6 gallons of water.

9th.—Fair w’r; kept steering to the W.N.W. and west.

10th.—Very heavy rains; hard gales and a high sea unto the 14th, constantly bailing, and suffering every degree of distress.

14th.—Discovered 5 islands, and was at noon in 13° 29′ So., 169° 21′.

15th.—Discovered an island, lat’d., noon, 13° 4′ S., 167° 35′ East. Hard gales and a high sea with thunder, lightning, and rain, and very dark dismal nights, not a star to be seen to steer by. Keeping the boat before the sea, constantly wet and suffering every calamity and distress.

May 21st.—Most dreadful weather, and the rain fell so heavy that we could scarce keep the boat from filling.

24th.—To the 24th the weather and sea continued very bad. We now dreaded the nights, for we were all benumbed with cold, being constantly wet. To act against the evils attending such a situation, I could only order every one when our cloaths became filled with water to strip naked and wring them, and when only wet by the rain to dip them first in the sea, so that this was the only resource we had for dry cloaths.

28th.—To the 28th the weather became better, when at midnight I fell in with the reefs of New Holland, the sea broke dreadfully high; I stood off shore for the night; at dawn of day stood in for the reefs again to search for a passage within it. At 9 in the morning I saw the reef again, and soon after standing along it to the northward, I discovered an opening which I safely entered, and happily got into smooth water. Lat’d of the channel 12° 50′ S., 145° 08′ E’t. At 1/4 past 5 in the afternoon I got into a bay on an island about 1/4 of a mile from the main, and finding it uninhabited, I determined on searching for supplies. Night prevented us from doing more than gathering a few oysters which we found on a bed of rocks near the boat; it was, however, a great relief to us. As our boat was only large enough to admit one-half of us to rest at a time, I directed that one party should sleep on shore, so that every one was to be ready to go in search of supplies at dawn of day.

page 84

May 29.—After a quiet and undisturbed night’s rest we began to employ ourselves about what was to be done, and in an half hour I heard the joyfull tydings that fine fresh water was found. Oysters were plenty, but it was with much difficulty we could break them from the rocks. However, a sufficient quantity was got to give us a good meal. I had great difficulty in getting a fire, but at last effected it by a small magnifying glass.

I found no other supply to be expected here, except a few berries which were eat by the birds, and, therefore, every person had ventured to take as many as their stomachs would bear.

Weakness, with a dizzyness in the head, and an extreme tenesmus, were our only complaints.

We discovered signs of the natives having been here, but the marks did not appear to be very recent. I was therefore not apprehensive, and permitted one-half of us to sleep on shore at night, as I had done before.

30th.—In the morning I found every one vastly benefitted by their being here. I sent the parties out to gather oysters, and others filled our water-casks and got the boat ready for sea. Mr. Nelson found some fern root that I thought wholesome and very condusive to prevent thirst. For that reason I ordered a quantity of it into the boat.

Birds could have been easily got here if I had had arms. On that account every one we saw recalled to us our miserable situation; but Providence has been graciously kind to us, for we frequently caught with our hands sea fowl, which made great addition to our dinner of bread. As a supply of water the rain was a great blessing to us, but I had not vessels to contain a sufficient quantity. It therefore happened that two gills, or a of water, was what each person received in the course of the day, issued at 8 in the morning, at noon, and at sunset, with 1/2 4 of a lb. of bread at breakfast and the same at dinner, sometimes giving an allowance for supper.

I found the lat’d. of this place 12° 39′ S., 144° 44′. The main appeared with a variety of high and low land interspersed with wood, and the more interior parts mountainous. I called it Restoration Isl’d.

31.—At 4 in the afternoon, after having performed prayers, I sailed. About 20 natives came down on the opposite shore, armed with spears. They were black, and waved to us to come to them.

I steered along shore to the N.N.W. and N.W. b. N. in the direction of the coast. Saw several islands, and at 8 in the morning passed through a cluster, and saw more natives armed in the same manner, and made the same signs as those I had seen before. I, however, did not land.

page 85

The appearance of the country is totally changed, being very low, and mostly sand hills.

Landed on an island, and gathered (shell fish) oysters and a few clams. Found fine rain water in a hollow of rocks, which water-again enabled us to fill up our sea store. From the heights of this island I saw a small key to the N.W. b. N. As my situation was too near the main, having discovered at this place the natives to have large cannoes, I again prepared to sail, so as to reach the key before night. At noon dined on oysters and clams, and found the latit’d. of the isl’d 11° 58′ S., long’d., 144° 29′ E.

June 1st.—This evening I landed, and spent the night at the key above mentioned. Got a few clams. Some of my people were taken ill with vomitings and dizzyness in their heads, besides a most dreadfull tenesmus afflicted those who had not been to stool since they left the ship, and others since they left Tofoa.

At noon I found the latitude of this key 11° 47′ So., long’d. 144° 24′ Et.

June 2nd.—This afternoon it came on a strong gale, and my people being still ill I preferred giving them a good night’s rest to going to sea. At dawn of day I found them much better. Sailed. Passed several isl’ds. The coast sandy and barren. At noon lat’d. 11° 18′ So., 144° 20′ Et.

June 3rd.—At night I again stopt on an island, the lat’d. of which is 10° 52′ So., long’d. 144° 03′ Et., and at dawn of day I again sailed and followed the direction of the coast to the N.W. Saw many islands. At noon I was in the lat’d. 10° 31′ So., long’d. 143° 43′ Et. I now found I had passed the north part of New Holland. Land woody.

4th.—At 5 o’clock this evening I left New Holland and for Timor, the exact lat’d. of which I was not certain of, but I determined to steer for it in the lat’d. of about 9° 30′ So.

12.—At 3 o’clock this morning, to the great joy of every person, we discovered Timor bearing W.N.W. At daylight I found I was on the S.E. part of it, and therefore determined to run down on the south side, and to lay to at night lest I might pass any settlement, for I was not certain where the Dutch Governor resided.

14th.—This afternoon, after having passed through a heavy breaking sea and shoal water, I discovered an opening, into which I sailed and anchored at 3 o’clock. Since found to be a bay on the west part of Timor, opposite to Pulo Samon, in the south entrance. The island Rotty being in sight to the S.W. b. S. Saw some Malays. Sent two men after them, who brought several Malays to me, one of whom agreed to show me Coupang and conduct me to the Governor. This being settled, we sailed and page 86 rowed along the east shore, and in the morning, a little before day, I anchored off the town and waited for leave to come of shore.

At daybreak I was desired by a soldier to land, and I was conducted to a gentleman’s house, a Capt’n Spikerman, who upon my application requested I would order all my people up to his house that they might receive some nourishment. The town surgeon was sent for (Mr. Max), who gave us every kind assistance in dressing our sores, and all who saw us were ready to contribute to the relief of such poor distressed creatures, one-half of whom could not have lived a week longer, and perhaps not a few days.

The Governor from extreme ill-health was not able to see me just at this time, but he became anxious, and I had it in my power to see him by eleven o’clock. He received me in a most affectionate and peculiar manner of kindness. Orders were instantly given for our accommodation, and I had full power to see my people taken care of.

Thus ended happily, through the assistance of Divine Providence, without accident, a voyage of the most extraordinary nature that ever happened in the world, let it be taken in its extent, duration, and so much want of the necessaries of life.

For any one to conceive the picture of such poor miserable beings as we were, let him fancy that in his house he is in the moment of giving relief to 18 men, whose ghastly countenances (but from the known cause) would be equally liable to affright as demand pity; let him view their limbs full of sores and their bodies nothing but skin and bones habited in rags; and at last let him conceive he sees the tears of joy and gratitude flowing o’er their cheeks at their benefactor. With what a mixture of horror, surprise, and pity will his mind be then agitated. So felt the people of Timor on giving us relief.

The Governor’s* ill health occasioned my transactions to be with a Mr. Timotheus Wanjon, the second in power at this place. Of him I was supplied w’th whatever I was in want. The surgeon, Mr. Max, attended daily our sick, our own surgeon being incapable, and in a short time our health began to improve.

I found in the road three vessels that were to sail for Batavia about the latter part of September, but their loading became so unexpectedly tedious that it amounted to a certainty, if I remained to go with them, I should be too late at Batavia to sail for Europe in the October fleet, in which case I must remain

* Note in MS.—Wm. Adriaan Van Este.

page 87 there untill January in the most unhealthy time of the year to get a passage in some of our China ships. I therefore determined to hire or purchase a vessel to take us away, and gave publick notice of my intention. Several offers were made to me, the lowest of which was that they stated the voyage to them to be equal to seven months, and therefore their price was 850 dollars, because they could not return before the west monsoon set in. As this was the case, I considered a purchase to be vastly preferable, and on the 1st July I bought a vessel for 1,000 rix dollars, and called her the Resource.

I now presented a short account of my voyage to the Governor, Mr. Van Este, with a description list of the pirates, and requested, in his Majesty’s name, that orders might be given to all their settlements to take them if they appeared. I also made application for certain sums of money, or for the Governor to take upon him to pay my accounts, for which I would give bills arransemen on the Commissioners of his Majesty’s Navy and Victualling; but a great demur now took place. However, Mr. Wanjon* at last took it upon himself and paid or advanced the money out of his private fortune, which the Governor did not like to advance on the East India Company’s account.

On the 20th July.—This day died of an inflamatory fever Mr. David Nelson. He had just recovered strength sufficient to go about the country, when, by laying aside some warm cloathing he had worn for a considerable time, he caught a severe cold.

As a tribute justly due to him, I have to say he was ever diligent in his busyness, and it always was his desire to forward my directions for the good of the service we were on. He was also equally serviceable and spirited in my voyage here, in the course of which he always gave me pleasure by conducting himself with resolution and obedience to my orders. I regret his loss very much.

On the 19th August I was ready for sea, and having finished all my busyness and informed the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty of my proceedings, I waited only for the tide to get out of the river.

On the 20th I sailed. I left the Governor, Mr. Van Este, at the point of death.

I beg leave to acquaint their Lordships that the greatest kindness and attention has been shown to us while here by Mr. Timotheus Wanjon, who seconded every friendly wish of the Governor with real services, and will ever deserve our gratefull thanks.

* Note in MS.—Second here.

Botanist to the expedition.

page 88

The surgeon of the town, Mr. Max, has also been ever attentive to my sick people, and has daily and hourly attended them with great care, for which I could not get him to render me any account or other answer than that he thought it his duty.

I find the situation of the Fort of Coupang to be 10° 12′ S., longd. 127° 09′ Et.; by the Dutch, 10° 11′ So., 121° 51′ Et. of Green’ch.

On the 30th August I passed through Streights Mangaryue, on the west end of the Island Flores, 4° 00′ west of Coupang, latitude south part Streights 8° 50′ S., and of the north 8° 30′ So.

On the 7th Sept’r passed the N.E. part of Java, and I determined to touch at the different principal settlements of the Dutch along the north side of this island.

On the 10th, after some little difficulty, I found out the settlement of Passourwang, and here I received great civility and refreshment from a Captain Van Reyck, the Resident, who told me he could not allow me to be longer there than one day.

On the 12th I sailed for Sourabya.

On the 13th anchored in Sourabya Road. Received great civility and refreshment here from Mr. Anthony Barkay, the Premier of this town, who, fearfull of my meeting with pirates, ordered me four prows to see me safe to Samarang.

On the 17th sailed from Sourabya.

On the 23rd anchored at Samarang. Here I was obliged to get a new mainmast, and, being refitted, I sailed on the 26th for Batavia, with one prow in company to defend us against piratical vessels, which, it is said, the coast is very much infested with. At this place the Governor of Java resides.

On the 2nd October I anchored in Batavia Road, and I landed about 4 in the afternoon. At 5 the Governor-General received me with much politeness and civility. I presented to him an account of the loss of his Majesty’s ship, with a description of the pirates, and requested in his Majesty’s name that directions might be given to their different settlements to take them if they The schooner appeared. I requested leave to sell his Majesty’s schooner that I commanded by publick sale; that I might have my people and officers taken care of while here; and that his Excellency would direct and give orders for me to be received on board the first ship that sailed for Europe. I received the fullest assurances that every thing should be done that possibly could for my accommodation, and that my petition would be presented in the morning to the Council. In the morning my request was granted, and I ordered the vessel to come into the river. I had now one man ill of fever and flux, and two invalids, who I directed to be sent to the country hospital, about 4 miles from town.

page 89

It was with great difficulty I got through what I had to do for those who were with me, when I was attacked with violent fever and headache, and my life became in emminent danger. On the 7th I was removed out to the Physician-General’s house, and the fever abated.

On the 9th I applied to the Governor-General to allow me and my people to depart for Europe in the packet that was to sail in the course of a week or ten days, when I was informed his Excellency could not send us all in one ship; but that as the physician had informed him of the risk I run by remaining at Batavia being very great, he consented for me, with two others, to have a passage, altho it was contrary to orders that the packet should carry any passengers.

The 10th Octr. the schooner was put up at publick sale, and sold only for 295 rix dollars. Died, Thos. Hall.

On the 11th I was charged in an account as a tax for sale of the schooner, but I refused paying any tax; it was therefore no longer demanded.

I now found myself so debilitated that I determined to sail in the packet. My people and officers were to be put into different ships. It therefore only rested whether I was to sail first or last.

The Sabandar*. brought me word on the 12th that the Governor and Council had considered it absolutely necessary to their being possessed of full powers to detain the ship and men belonging to his Britannick Majesty; that my officers and men should be sworn and examined as from a requisition on my part. I could have no objection.

On the 15th the officers and men attended at the Stadt House and were examined and sworn to the cause and loss of his Majesty’s ship, a copy of which was sent to me.

As it is impossible to say where a set of piratical people may go, I thought it proper to acquaint his Excellency Lord Cornwallis with the loss of his Majesty’s ship, and sent him a description list of the pirates.

I now gave the master written orders how to proceed, and left with him the amount of the sale of the schooner, with orders to give in advance one month’s pay to every one except himself and surgeon; and to see that such money was laid out in warm clothing, to pass the Cape with. Mr. John Samuel (clerk) and John Smith (seaman) I directed to go in the packet w’th me.

On the 16th October I embarked on board the Vlydt packet, Peter Couvret, commander, and sailed.§

Wm. Bligh.

* Shebander

The Bounty and her piratical crew.

The Governor-General of India.

§ For the Cape of Good Hope, en route to England.