Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 2. — Copy of a letter from Mr. Clarke, R. M., on the subject of promises made to the Ngaitahu Natives

page 91

No. 2.
Copy of a letter from Mr. Clarke, R. M., on the subject of promises made to the Ngaitahu Natives.

Auckland, September 30th, 1864.

Sir,—

I feel it my duty to bring under your notice the subject of promises made to the Ngaitahu tribes by the Commissioner for acquiring Native lands, especially at the cession of the "Murihiku block," which promises are still unfulfilled.

At every meeting held with the Natives during my late visit to the southern Provinces, great prominence was given to this subject. Natives from Waimatemate, Waitaki, Moeraki, Waikowaiti, Otakou, Ruapuke, and Aparima, were unanimous in alleging that they have been deceived. They state that besides the monied consideration given by Mr. Mantell, they were also promised that out of the revenue accruing from the lands then ceded, the Government would support schools, hospitals, &c., and would promote and encourage undertakings having for their object the amelioration of the condition of the Natives. These promises, they say, have never been fulfilled.

To show how deeply this matter is felt by these Natives, I will only report a speech made by one of their leading chiefs. He said:—

"The Government know we are few in numbers, had we been as numerous as the tribes in the other island, we might have obtained a hearing to our demands."

The existence of any such feeling cannot but be much deplored, and I am confident that the Government will as soon as they are made acquainted with the real state of the case, lose no time in removing such bad impressions from the Native mind.

At the time these statements were made to me by the Natives, I had not yet received the official documents from your office, and was not aware of the extent of the pledges made by the Land Commissioner on behalf of Her Majesty's Government.

By a reference to the copies of correspondence between Mr. Mantell and the Secretary of State for the Colonies on this subject (herewith attached), the statement made to me by the Natives is fully borne out. In a letter bearing date 5th July, 1856, Mr. Mantell says:—

"By promises of more valuable recompense in schools, in hospitals for the sick, and in constant solicitude for their welfare and general protection on the part of the Imperial Government, I procured the cession of these lands for small cash payments."

Then as to the authority upon which such inducements were held out to the Natives, with reference to the instructions issued to him, Mr. Mantell says in a letter, dated 31st July, 1858:—

"But Lieutenant-Governor Eyre, who directed these instructions to be written, impressed upon me the propriety of placing before the Natives the prospect of great future advantages which the cession of these lands would bring them in schools, hospitals, and the paternal care of Her Majesty's Government; and as I before said, I found these promises of great use in my endeavours to break down the strong and justifiable opposition to my first commission, and in facilitating the acquisition of my later purchases, &c."

These unredeemed obligations on the part of the Government have been a great obstacle in my negotiations with the Natives for the purchase of Stewart's Island. They placed no faith in my promises of a like nature, and it was only by inserting the several stipulations in the text of the Deed of Cession, that I was able to overcome the difficulty.

In conclusion I would beg respectfully to submit that the Government lose no time in giving full effect to the promises made by Mr. Mantell, on behalf of the Government. As to how this may be best done, I beg to refer you to my letter of yesterday's date.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Clarke.

The Honorable the Colonial Secretary, Native Department.