Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 10. — Walter Mantell, Esq., to the Right Honorable Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the Colonies

No. 10.
Walter Mantell, Esq., to the Right Honorable Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the Colonies.

London, August 18th, 1856.

Sir,—

As you have refused to entertain the claims of the Ngaitahu Natives to those benefits which were promised to them on the cession of their lands to the Crown, and as it is therefore very doubtful whether those claims will be satisfied, I cannot, while such doubt exists, continue to hold office in the Department.

I have, therefore, the honour to resign the office of Commissioner of Crown Lands for the Province of Otago. 2. That of a Commissioner of Land Claims under the Ordinance, Session 1, No. 2. 3. That of Commissioner under the Ordinance, Session 11, No, 15.

And, as I can approve neither of the principles upon which the acquisition of Native lands is still conducted, nor of the policy of the Local Government toward the Natives in either Island, I have further the honour to resign such connection as I may be supposed to have retained with the Department for the extinguishment of Native claims.

I have, &c.,

Walter Mantell.

The Principal Secretary of State for the Colonies.