Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 2. — Under Secretary Native Department, to Hon. A. C. Strode, Dunedin

No. 2.
Under Secretary Native Department, to Hon. A. C. Strode, Dunedin.

Native Secretary's Office, Wellington, October 27th, 1866.

Sir,—

I have the honour, by direction of Mr. Richmond, to inform you that a sum of £200 has been made payable to you at the Sub-Treasury, as an advance to settle the claims of Matiaha Tiramorehu and his followers, in respect of lands bought by Mr. Hamilton, between Kaiapoi and the Wai-au-ua, in the Middle Island. I am to request you to be good enough to pay this over to Matiaha, in fall satisfaction of the claims of himself and his followers over the land so purchased, taking a receipt from him to that effect. I enclose a letter to Matiaha, telling him that you will appoint a day on which to meet him and make this payment.

It will be desirable that it should be explained that this sum is given him in fulfilment of Mr. Mantell's promise to obtain compensation for him, and that the Government will recognise no further claim in respect to the Ngaitahu purchase. You are also to use your influence with him to invest this sum in land, or in some other way by which an annual income may be secured to him and the money may not be squandered.

I have, &c.,

W. Rolleston,
Under Secretary.

The Hon. A. C. Strode, Dunedin.