Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

[No. 5. — I. N. Watt, Esq., to the Hon. the Native Minister]

No. 5.

I. N. Watt, Esq., to the Hon. the Native Minister.

Dunedin, November 2nd, 1868.

Sir,

I have the honour to enclose copy of a letter received from the Commissioner of Crown Lands, Invercargill, informing me that Mr. Kingswell has selected the 2000 acres of land on account of the Native Trust, and enquiring in whose name the Crown Grant is to be made, and by whom the expenses of the survey are to be borne.

With respect to the latter question, I would respectfully submit that the expenses of the survey and Crown Grant should be borne by the Province of Southland, as it is a part or the price they gave for Stewart's Island. It is truly a purchase, as though the £2000, that was retained, had been paid to the Natives, and by them invested in the land, and I can see no reason at all why the Province should not pay for the survey as in an ordinary purchase.

With regard to the former question, I presume the Grant will be made to certain trustees. On a former occasion, I recommended that the Hon. Dr. Menzies and the Rev. Mr. Wohlers should be the trustees. Dr. Menzies was then Superintendent, but whether he would consent now to become a trustee, I do not know; and there is a probability of Mr. Wohlers leaving New Zealand in about a year's time. * * *

I would, therefore, recommend that trustees should be appointed from the north, or some place other than the Province of Southland.

I have, &c.,

I. Newton Watt.

The Hon. the Native Minister, Wellington.

Enclosure in No. 5.
W. H. Pearson, Esq., to I. N. Watt, Esq.

Crown Lands Office, Invercargill, October 28th, 1868.

Sir,—

I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 17th instant, referring to 2,000 acres of land to be selected by Mr. W. B. Kingswell on behalf of the Native Trust.

I now forward a tracing of the land selected by Mr. Kingswell, and granted to him in terms of your letter by the Waste Land Board at its meeting held on the 27th instant, and have to request that you will be good enough to inform me in whose name the Crown grant is to be made out, and by whom the expenses are to be borne.

I have, &c.

Walter H. Pearson,
Commissioner Crown Lands.

I. N. Watt, Esq., Dunedin.