Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 12. — The Under Secretary Native Department, to Mr. W. B. Kingswell

No. 12.
The Under Secretary Native Department, to Mr. W. B. Kingswell.

Native Office, Wellington, September 5th, 1870.

Sir,—

I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your letters of the 25th and 28th June page 74last, in which you request that a lease may be executed without delay of the 2,000 acres of land held by you under the Government in the Hokonui district, that a reduction may be made in the amount of rent agreed upon between yourself and Mr. Watt, and that a purchase clause may be inserted in your lease.

Now that the plan of the land selected is in the possession of the Government, a Crown grant will be issued to trustees without further delay, after which the trustees will be instructed to execute the lease to you upon the terms originally agreed upon, on the payment by you of the arrears of rent which will then be due.

I regret to inform you that the Government cannot consent to any modification or alteration of the terms originally agreed upon, but there is no desire to inflict any injury upon you, by holding you to your bargain, if you deem it to your advantage to throw it up. The Government will therefore relieve you from further liability in the matter on receiving an intimation of your wish to that effect, accompanied by a certificate from the Bank of New Zealand, that the arrears of rent have been paid to the credit of the Public Account.

I must apologise for the delay which has occurred in answering your letters, and which has arisen from the press of business attendant upon the session of Parliament.

I have, &c.,

G. S. Cooper,
Under Secretary.

Mr. W. B. Kingswell, Invercargill.