Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

H. T. Clarke, Esq., to the Native Secretary

H. T. Clarke, Esq., to the Native Secretary.

Sir,—

Invercargill, March 30th, 1864.

I have the honour to report for your information that I have not yet been able to make much progess in negotiating, on behalf of the Government, with the Natives for the purchase of Stewart's Island, on account of the absence of many of the Natives interested, who are engaged catching titi (mutton birds), nor shall I be able to do much till they return.

I have personally communicated with the principal natives residing on Stewart's Island, and have arranged that a general meeting shall be held as soon as practicable.

I have also communicated by letter with the Otago Natives, acquainting them with the intentions of the Government to purchase Stewart's Island, and have requested all claimants to hold themselves in readiness to meet the Natives resident in the Province when called upon to do so.

I shall have more trouble with the Natives than I at first anticipated. I gather, from what I have already heard, that there are some disputes respecting title. Some of the Natives set up a claim through Ngatimamoe ancestors, which claim Topi Patuki, the principal representative of Kaitahu, altogether repudiates. These questions can only be settled at a general meeting.

I beg to enclose a report by Mr. Heale on Stewart's Island:—

With regard to certain recent alleged illegal transactions of Europeans with the Natives, for the purchase of portions of Stewart's Island, I have to report that I shall feel it my duty to prosecute Clarke and Co., for a breach of the Native Lands Ordinance, against whom I believe there is a clear case. According to Topi's statement, they have agreed to give £4,000, for about two thirds of the Island, and he acknowledges to have received £10 on account. My reason for thinking it necessary to take legal proceedings against Clarke is from what has fallen from Topi. Clarke insists, he tells me, upon his (to use Topi's own words) "sticking to his bargain," and to leave the question of the legality of the transaction to be settled between himself (Clarke) and the Government. And I think there is an impression upon Topi's mind that Clarke will be able to maintain his ground against the Government. A conviction will convince Topi to the contrary, and greatly facilitate any negotiations with him.

The alleged purchase made by Middleton, through his agent, Moffatt, has proved to be a fraud. page 56Moffatt, after forging Topi Patuki's name to a deed, absconded with £1200, the sum handed over to him by Middleton to complete the purchase.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Clarke.

The Native Secretary, Auckland.