Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

Enclosure 2 in No. 1. — Mr. Macandrew, to Mr. John Bullock, Dunedin

Enclosure 2 in No. 1.
Mr. Macandrew, to Mr. John Bullock, Dunedin.

Superintendent's Office, Dunedin, October 15th, 1860.

Sir,—

I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your communication of the 12th instant, stating that you propose to erect extensive saw mills at Paterson's Inlet, Stewart's Island, provided you can get the assurance either from the Provincial or General Government, that you will be secured in possession of a sufficient tract of land, you paying for the same when open for sale.

In reply, I have the honour to state that at present the Island in question is not included within the boundaries of the Otago Province, but in event of its being included, I shall be quite prepared to comply with your request, and to secure you the exclusive right to the timber within a given radius of the spot on which your works may be erected, assuming, of course, that they shall be capable of sawing the quantity mentioned in your letter.

In the meantime, and pending the question as to the future administration of Stewart's Island, I shall transmit a copy of this correspondence to His Excellency the Governor of New Zealand (who is the only authority that can deal with the Island), strongly recommending his favorable interposition in the matter, and pointing out the great importance to this Province of your being protected and encouraged in the proposed enterprise.

I have, &c.,

James Macandrew,
Superintendent.

Mr. John Bullock, Dunedin.