Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

[No. 17. — Mr. G. S. Cooper, to the Hon. D. McLean]

No. 17.

Mr. G. S. Cooper, to the Hon. D. McLean.

Native Office, Wellington, May 21st, 1870.

Sir,—

I have the honour to inform you that I returned yesterday from Otago and Southland, where I have succeeded in placing all outstanding questions in reference to Native Reserves in train for settlement.

In Otago I could Only find one reserve which required to be surveyed to enable the Crown grant to issue. This is the Karoro Reserve at Molyneux Bay. On my representing the matter to the Superintendent, His Honor at once undertook that the reserve in question should be surveyed by the Provincial staff.

At Invercargill I found that very little had been done in the way of surveying Native Reserves, and what had been done was almost of no value.

I also learned that the Provincial Government was unable, from want of funds, to perform the necessary work. His Honor the Superintendent appeared to be impressed with the idea that the Province was not legally or morally liable, but was entitled to receive the estate from the Colony free of all incumbrances.

As the views of His Honor differed entirely from mine on this subject, and he could hold out no hope of the Province ing able to find the necessary funds for the surveys, even were Provincial page 67liability established, I proposed that the money should in the first instance be provided by the Colonial Government, the work being done under the supervision and control of the Provincial Chief Surveyor, in accordance with instructions from Major Heaphy, V.C., and all payments to be made on the certificate of the Chief Surveyor; the question of ultimate liability, as between the Colonial and Provincial Governments, to be left for after settlement.

To this proposal His Honor agreed, and, it having been ratified by telegraph by the Hon. Mr. Gisborne, I wrote to the Superintendent finally on the subject.

I have the honour to enclose copies of the correspondence.

I have, &c.,

G. S. Cooper,
Under Secretary.

The Hon. the Native Minister, Wellington.

Enclosure 1 in No. 17.
Telegram to the Hon. Mr. Gisborne.

Invercargill, May 7th, 1870.

Just had an interview with Superintendent in re Native reserves. Does not either absolutely admit or deny Provincial liability to survey; but Province utterly unable to move for want of funds. Explained necessity for having work done, and it was agreed that the Colonial Government shall find the money, work to be done under direction of Provincial officers, and payments made on certificate of Chief Surveyor; question of ultimate liability to be subsequently settled. For your confirmation, please reply to-day.

G. S. Cooper,
Native Under Secretary.

Enclosure 2 in No. 17.
Telegram from the Hon. Mr. Gisborne to Mr. G. S. Cooper.

Wellington, 8th May, 1870.

I agree to arrangements proposed by Superintendent of Southland and yourself about Native reserves.

I only received your telegram ten minutes ago at my house, where it had been waiting.

W. Gisborne.

Enclosure 3 in No. 17.

Invercargill, May 9th, 1870.

Sir,—

In reference to the conversation which I had with your Honor on the 7th instant upon the subject of the survey of Native reserves on Stewart's Island, and on the main land in this Province, I have now the honour to acquaint you that I have received the sanction of Ministers to the arrangement proposed, viz:—

That in consequence of the inability of the Provincial Government at present to undertake such surveys, and there being an admitted pressing necessity for their execution, the money for the purpose shall be supplied by the Colonial Government, and paid on the certificate of the Provincial Chief Surveyor, under whose direction the work is to be carried out; the question as to the fund upon which the expenditure shall be ultimately charged being left open for subsequent adjustment.

Major Heaphy, V.C., who is now in Invercargill, will arrange as to the details of the work with the Chief Surveyor of the Province of Southland.

I have, &c.,

G. S. Cooper,
Under Secretary Native Department.

P.S.—It is also understood that the survey of the old land claims which stand in the way of defining the Native reserves in Stewart's Island is included in this arrangement.—G. S. C.

Enclosure 4 in No. 17.
Memorandum.

Invercargill, 12th May, 1870.
The surveys necessary to be executed before the various Native reserves on the main land and at Stewart's Island can safely be granted are estimated to cost, at the contract rates paid by the Southland Government, about the sums respectively set forth below:—
Eight reserve on the main land£19990
Nine reserves on Stewart's Island25900
£45890
page 68
In addition to which there are five old land claims on Stewart's Island that should be surveyed prior to the reserves that abut on them being defined £70 7 6
£528 16 6
Besides this, there is, owing to a private surveyor for the survey of 2000 acres rented by Kingswill, the sum of £72 1 0
Making in all £600 17 6

C. Heaphy.
G. S. Cooper, Esq.,
Under Secretary Native Department.

This does not include the Bird Islets lying off Stewart's Island, and for which the Admiralty Coast Survey will probably suffice.—C. H.

Enclosure 5 in No. 17.
Telegram from Mr. Cooper to the Hon. Mr. Gisborne.

Invercargill, May 13th, 1870.

Heaphy estimates the cost of surveying Native reserves on main and Stewart's Island at £600. This includes £70 for survey of five old land claims, which stand in the way of reserves, and must be surveyed first.

G. S. Cooper,
Native Under Secretary.

Enclosure 6 in No. 17.
Copy of Telegram from Mr. Halse to Mr. Cooper.

Wellington, 14th May, 1870.

Cost of survey of Native reserves on main and Stewart's Island approved by Hon. Mr. Gisborne, on conditions stated in your telegram of 7th May.

H. Halse,

Assistant Under Secretary Native Department.

Enclosure 7 in No. 17.

Invercargill, 14th May, 1870.

Sir,—

In reference to my letter of the 9th instant, in which I informed your Honor that I had received the sanction of Ministers to the proposed arrangement for the survey of Native reserves in this Province, I have now the honor to enclose the copy of an estimate made by Major Heaphy, V.C., after consultation with the Chief Surveyor of the Province, of the cost of those surveys.

This estimate has been approved by the Hon. Mr. Gisborne upon the conditions stated in me letter above quoted. It being understood that the work shall be carried out as soon as the season shall admit of it, at an expense not exceeding the enclosed estimate, and that it shall be done under thy supervision and control of the Provincial Chief Surveyor in accordance with instructions which he will receive from Major Heaphy, V.C.

I have, &c.,

G. S. Cooper,
Under Secretary, Native Department.

His Honor the Superintendent,
Invercargill.