Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

Enclosure No. 4 in No. 5. — Copy of letter from Chairman County Council of Westland, Mr. Alexander Mackay

Enclosure No. 4 in No. 5.
Copy of letter from Chairman County Council of Westland, Mr. Alexander Mackay.

County Chairman's Office, Hokitika, April, 9th, 1870.

Sir,—

I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of 31st March, and your telegram of 5th April, 1870, informing me that the sum asked for towards the construction of a road at Arahura is much too large, and that you do not think of recommending so heavy an outlay to the General Government, but suggesting that one fourth, of the estimated cost would be as much as you could recommend.

In reply, I again strongly urge that an arrangement, as proposed in a Resolution passed by the County Council, on the 19th July, 1889, should receive your strongest recommendation to the General Government for adoption. This principle having been recognized as shown in a letter from you to the Mayor of Greymouth, dated 21st March, 1870, by which 10 per cent. of the Native Trust Fund is allowed to the Borough Council, towards the construction of protective works, streets, &c., &c., within the Borough.

A similar permanent arrangement would be beneficial to both parties. It would induce the Council to construct roads intersecting Maori property, thereby enhancing the value of the same, while it is otherwise in the interest of the Council to evade so doing, inasmuch as all works are chiefly defrayed out of the Land Fund, to which the Native lands up to the present time, have not contributed.

I would then point out to you that contributions from the Native lands to the Westland Trust Road Fund, as proposed, would be more locally distributed, and the Native Trust Fund would not be called upon for large sums at one time, which in the case of the Arahura is necessary, considering that the County has already provided a good road intersecting 5 miles of Native property, and which extends to about 5 miles beyond the commencing point of the present proposed road.

I have, &c.,

C. Hoos,
County Chairman,

Alexander Mackay, Esq., Native Commissioner, Nelson.