Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 2. — The Assistant Native Secretary, Collingwood, to the Chief Land Purchase Commissioner

No. 2.
The Assistant Native Secretary, Collingwood, to the Chief Land Purchase Commissioner.

Collingwood, November 19th, 1858.

Sir,—

I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your letter, dated the 3rd November, requesting me to proceed to Kaikoura and Arahura. I shall, be able, to go to the former place about the commencement of January next, and as soon as the necessary arrangements, are completed there, I will start overland from Port Cooper to the West Coast.

With reference to my going to Arahura, I am desirous of knowing whether the Government wish to have the Native Title extinguished over the whole, of the land on the west coast of the Middle Island, or whether I am to purchase the Arahura and Mawhera districts only.

Should the Government direct me to purchase the whole, of the; West Coast, it will necessitate my proceeding to Milford Haven, as there are some Natives residing at that plaice who have claims to land on the West, Coast. From information I have received, the country there is not worth acquiring; and as it is impossible to reach, that part of the district on foot, it will be necessary to charter a 'vessel to take me there.

From what I recollect of the conversation I had with Tarapuhi (son of the late Tuhuru), I believe he claimed the whole of the land from. West Wanganui (Province of Nelson) to Dusky Bay, Piopiotai (Province of Otago), for this he asked £2500; he, however, admitted that the Port Cooper Natives and Taiaroa had received payment for the West Coast, and to a certain extent allowed the conquest of part of the district by the Ngatitoa tribe. I do not anticipate any difficulty in persuading them to sell the land, as they were willing to do so when I was there two years ago, but I think it probable they may wish for a larger sum of money for it than the Government are willing to give.

I wish to know whether the Government require a surveyor to accompany me through to the West Coast for the purpose of laying out the reserves for the use of the Natives, as I am afraid it will be rather expensive getting one to go there. I would endeavour, in the absence of such a person, to define the reserves, in a manner as would make it easy for a surveyor to lay them out at any future period. I mention this as I see the Provincial Government have advertised, for tenders for the survey of the Grey District, and the person contracting for that service could easily lay out the reserves if I gave him directions, and a rough sketch of the localities in which they are situated.

I have, &c.,

James Mackay, Junr.,
Assistant Native Secretary.

D. McLean, Esq., Native Secretary, Auckland.